Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid versions (Read 22919 times)
Stanton

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid versions
06/13/09 at 8:07am

I'm a bit curious what you guys think about the 3 different versions of Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid.

I prefer the Seydor cut, even if it has it's flaws.
But I haven't read many (if any) favourable things about it in the net or elsewhere. Most people seem clearly to vote for the Turner version and thereby are heavily despising the new version.

IP Logged

Mike S.
Ex Member

Re: Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid versions
Reply #1 - 06/13/09 at 11:24am

Well, I have to admit (Sorry, Jeff Smiley) that PAT GARRETT never was among my TOP 6 Peckinpah's. Therefore it is one I never knew and remembered as well as the others. I mean I saw it 5+ times in the 80's and 90's, but that doesn't say much with my background of sometimes watching two films a day.

I really awaited the DVD, 'wanted to see it in great quality finally - before that one had to get back to VHS tapes and even the LD wasn't great.
So when I saw the Seydor-Version I liked it a lot at first. It looks great. A bit more like 'BALLARD' than 'COQUILLON', but great anyway. I once spoke with him about the subject and we basically shared the same opinion: The Turner version wasn't trimmed very well, some wrong angles or takes were chosen and the colors were much to brownish (one-sided anyway).
The MGM version wasn't THAT bad, but it would have needed the cut scenes.

But the more I saw of that new version, the more strange editing decisions I watched. Although I didn't know the film by heart, I felt something was missing. Footage, dialogue and the right music at certain spots. And later on, when I read how much was actually missing I went back and compared versions again for the first time in 20 years. (there was a lot of detailed discussion on the DVDforums.com forum which covers almost everthing I'd say).

I think it was a missed opportunity. The cut plays nicely but why not using good Sam- footage and audio when it's there, working and not hurting the film? Personal judgement always is a dangerous thing. For personal projects it is a must, for something somebody else did at a certain time, it is dangerous. I think.

So all three versions have major flaws.
Fits Peckinpah's life well  Sad

IP Logged

Nate B.
YaBB Administrator

If there had to be one,
it would be Sam Peckinpah

USA
Reply #2 - 06/19/09 at 2:06pm

I really do love the film and I believe it is something of a muddled gem. I suspect that Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid will always exist in a permanent state of flux. Of the versions available on the DVD I tend to prefer the Turner Cut. There are issues with it to be sure but I still prefer it (with all due respect) over the Seydor cut. I seem to remember seeing a third version some 15 years or so back that I remember being fond of. For all I know, I may be remembering things wrong and it could have been the Turner cut. I keep hoping that if the film gets a release on Blu-ray, that the Turner cut  will get a better transfer and (unrealistic though it may be) that there may even be some sort of third version.

If there had to be one, it would be Sam Peckinpah. Join the discussion at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
For my random junk: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register or for my twitter: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Jill
YaBB Newbies

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Hungary
Reply #3 - 06/20/09 at 1:18pm

I like the Turner cut. I have a dvd which has both that and the 2005 one, and what did the 2005 one make? Added a scene with Garrett's wife (which is great) and one with Ruthie Lee (which knocked out another scene), and has cut a lot, including great lines. They should've just added the two extra scenes to Turner and it would be fine.

WWW | MSN  
IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #4 - 07/09/09 at 4:01pm

Some interesting links:

-Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

-Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Nate B.
YaBB Administrator

If there had to be one,
it would be Sam Peckinpah

USA
Reply #5 - 07/10/09 at 1:19pm

Thank you for the comparison! Too bad the images were down..... I'll just add that there is another good (but not as thorough) comparison: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.
« Last Edit: 07/10/09 at 1:20pm by Nate B. »  

If there had to be one, it would be Sam Peckinpah. Join the discussion at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
For my random junk: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register or for my twitter: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10