Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid versions (Read 24399 times)
Richard W

a straight arrow

Arizona, mostly.
Re: Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid versions
Reply #36 - 03/29/14 at 5:20pm

I always thought the MGM vhs of the theatrical version was timed about two clicks too bright. Those tapes are now thirty years old, faded and teary, and most of them have lost the recording signal and turned to static, but no matter.

The sound of the shotgun's hammer being pulled back is important.

I haven't seen the scene where the Kid flirts with Maria since it aired in San Diego in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Once it aired twice in the same day, on a San Diego station and then on a Los Angeles station that could be received in San Diego. I saw it a few times, but that was before I owned a VTR.

I wouldn't mind seeing Robert Blenheim's fan edit, one of these days.

Last night I compared the workprint to the 2005 edit and there's no question the opening titles make more sense in the workprint. The Wild Bunch had similar freeze-frame credits except the workprint of PG&BTK takes the idea one step further. The motion freezes on the faces of all the men Garrett is going to shoot dead, tying in with the theme of a dying man's memory flashing before his eyes. It also helps us remember who they are. I'm not too stupid to make a distinction between the intertitle "Fort Sumner, New Mexico Territory, 1881" and the credits.  Peckinpah's second choice -- the western title sequence that he was forced to use in the theatrical version which is also on the 2005 edit -- would make a nice music video in the supplements.
« Last Edit: 03/30/14 at 5:04pm by Richard W »  

"I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
Raymond Chandler, 1939.

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #37 - 03/30/14 at 8:20pm

Good posting, Richard W.  Good points, all.

I still have an old VHS of my second 'assembled cut' of "Pat Garrett" (with a few poor quality, very dubby scenes inserted -- like the full-length Garrett wife sequence and the Billy bringing Maria the blanket scene).  Today it must look awful -- these were the days we'd show VHS tapes in classrooms, so now it looks worse, but remember I assembled my first version even long before the Turner cut was released on VHS.  It's shabby, but it was fun to see in its day.

Excellent points in the last paragraph particularly -- especially the theatrical title sequence making a nice music video.  That's what it should be used for.
« Last Edit: 03/30/14 at 8:21pm by Robert Blenheim »  

IP Logged

Gashade

Paris, France
Reply #38 - 04/28/14 at 6:49pm

It seems Paul Seydor is writing a new book precisely about what we are discussing here:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #39 - 04/28/14 at 9:13pm

OMG, Gashade!  Wow.  I can't wait!

But FEBRUARY of NEXT YEAR!!!!  (Can I wait that long???)
« Last Edit: 04/28/14 at 9:15pm by Robert Blenheim »  

IP Logged

Stanton

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #40 - 04/29/14 at 8:00am

Wow ...

But only 460 pages, how can that do justice to this complex topic. Wink

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #41 - 04/29/14 at 9:05pm

That's great news.

Hopefully he will reproduce the editing notes left by Peckinpah and his associates in their entirety along with a detailed list of all the available footage shot. Should be fascinating...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10