Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid versions (Read 22930 times)
Stanton

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Re: Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid versions
Reply #42 - 05/25/14 at 1:50pm

The newest board member is at the moment a certain Paul Seydor. I wouldn't mind to read some more thoughts on this topic from him here.   Cool
« Last Edit: 05/27/14 at 8:34am by Stanton »  

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #43 - 05/26/14 at 8:53pm

Paul Seydor is not just a brilliant Peckinpah scholar and writer, he is also a wonderful, generous man.  I finally managed to fulfill a dream of mine a few days ago and discuss in depth PG&BTK with him, and the different scenes and versions.  Now I realize how much myth and incorrect information has been inadvertently (and sometimes mindlessly) circulated for years.  In my classes and online I have always detailed what I believed to be the truth, with a conscientious exactitude, but from the moment of the film's release so much nonsense has been propagated.  And a lot of it seems to have been the fault of Peckinpah himself.

One thing I learned from Paul was that many mistakes were made in the editing and sound of the making of the 2005 version after it had left his hands, and one of them was the editing blunder (when R.G. Armstrong is cocking his gun), an inacceptable gaff that I have been, and am still, so upset about -- and justly, I might add. 

Because of the bungles and sloppiness the 2005 version displays (such as that sequence), I remain not happy with the 2005 version and still prefer the Turner cut (with the caveat that it needs the Wife and the Ruthie Lee sequences), but now I am confident that every decision Paul Seydor made in forming the 2005 version had a valid reason for it, and was made not only with a respectful restraint, but with wisdom gained from his unsurpassed experience.

Moreover, I am happier still because I know now that he proved to be the erudite, intelligent Peckinpavian expert I had always considered him to be.

My dialogue on this film from now on will be drastically different, and gladly so -- and I eagerly await his upcoming book to garner even more insight into the entire Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid experience.
« Last Edit: 05/27/14 at 1:24pm by Robert Blenheim »  

IP Logged

Stanton

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #44 - 05/27/14 at 8:37am

Then, please, tell us about some of the differences in your view of the film's versions

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #45 - 05/27/14 at 1:33pm

Stanton wrote on 05/27/14 at 8:37am:
Then, please, tell us about some of the differences in your view of the film's versions

It isn't the differences (for most of us know the differences from past discussions, or can discover them by examining the versions) but the explanation as to why.

Paul Seydor's new book will probably have most of the answers.  (If you are impatient in waiting for that book, I am too!)

IP Logged

Stanton

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #46 - 05/28/14 at 4:33am

That was what I asked for, the differences in the explanations.

I assume that it was your meeting with Seydor that he has signed up here?
Where did you meet him?

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #47 - 05/28/14 at 7:52pm

Stanton wrote on 05/28/14 at 4:33am:
That was what I asked for, the differences in the explanations.

I assume that it was your meeting with Seydor that he has signed up here?
Where did you meet him?

Nothing personal, Stanton, but I'd rather not answer those questions right now.   My suggestion is: Buy the book.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10