Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid versions (Read 22929 times)
Richard W

a straight arrow

Arizona, mostly.
Re: Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid versions
Reply #48 - 05/28/14 at 9:35pm

What happened to PG & BTK is not an isolated case. The carelessness,  indifference, personal biases and unprofessionalism evident in the PG & BTK DVD has become standard operating procedure at Warner Home Video.

George Feltenstein and Ned Price are content to let others take the blame for their desultory attitude. They take care of the films that interest them personally, and ignore the films that don't. Hence the letter-writing campaign to release the 129-minute director's cut of Night of Dark Shadows is ignored for over a decade. Then they release James Aubrey's 93-minute cut, which not only renders the film incomprehensible, but the soundtrack is applied from still another cut, putting sound effects in the wrong place (the sound of a car starting at the dinner table, for instance) and dialog from missing scenes overlapping with out-of-sync dialog for present scenes. The color timing is also at odds with earlier releases of the film. What a mess. But it's a mess repeated time and again in other Warner Home Video blu-rays and DVD's. Orange skies in Gone With the Wind, yellow horses in The Searchers, yellow everything in She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. Ironically, these bungled transfers are always favorably reviewed, even by people who should know better.  When someone complains, Feltenstein and Price lie about the reasons and cite technical problems that aren't true or logical, relying on the public's ignorance of such matters to be believed.

I hope Paul Seydor takes Warner Home Video to task in the book.  In naming their names he will clear his own. They have a lot to answer for.
« Last Edit: 05/28/14 at 10:59pm by Richard W »  

"I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
Raymond Chandler, 1939.

IP Logged

Richard W

a straight arrow

Arizona, mostly.
Reply #49 - 05/31/14 at 11:26pm

Novecento wrote on 04/29/14 at 9:05pm:
That's great news.

Hopefully he will reproduce the editing notes left by Peckinpah and his associates in their entirety along with a detailed list of all the available footage shot. Should be fascinating...

I've been informed that Sam Peckinpah wrote 200 pages of editing notes. Samples from these will be reproduced in facsimile in the book. Other editing notes are dealt with in the book. So you're going to get your wish.

"I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
Raymond Chandler, 1939.

IP Logged

Gashade

Paris, France
Reply #50 - 06/19/14 at 7:10pm

I just ran through your Facebook page, Mike. Some great stuff there (I didn't know "La corta notte delle bambole di vetro"'s german title was "Malastrana" - which actually sounds pretty italian too, although it's a play on words based on the name of a district in my hometown, Prague, where the film was partly shot).

God, how I regret having missed out the Padua 2000 retrospective!
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Oh, and I hadn't noticed you did some extras too for the German DVD of Cross of Iron. Are they different from what's on the BRs?
« Last Edit: 06/19/14 at 7:19pm by Gashade »  

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #51 - 04/06/15 at 9:01pm

I've been thinking about how Seydor moved the river scene in the 2005 special edition.

In the Turner Preview, there is a nice audio transition from the song being sung in the outpost scene to Garrett sitting on the bank as if the lyrics to the song are in his thoughts. In the 2005 Special Edition, while there is a nice additional shot setting the scene before we focus on Garrett, the cut from the preceding scene (now the one with Billy and Alias fending off Chisum's regulators) is abrupt. We also lose a final shot in that scene that focuses on Billy's face almost as if in slow-motion. It's a great shot that adds a quiet tranquility to the end of the scene that then transitions beautifully to the scene with Garrett cooking his food on the frying pan.

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #52 - 04/07/15 at 6:44pm

Here is the link to my review of Paul Seydor's new book that I posted today on Amazon.com.

Everyone here should definitely get a copy.  It's a must-read!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #53 - 04/07/15 at 8:57pm

You should have posted that under the topic dedicated to the book  Tongue

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10