Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid versions (Read 22931 times)
Novecento

Re: Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid versions
Reply #54 - 04/08/15 at 4:15pm

Novecento wrote on 04/06/15 at 9:01pm:
In the Turner Preview, there is a nice audio transition from the song being sung in the outpost scene to Garrett sitting on the bank as if the lyrics to the song are in his thoughts. In the 2005 Special Edition, while there is a nice additional shot setting the scene before we focus on Garrett, the cut from the preceding scene (now the one with Billy and Alias fending off Chisum's regulators) is abrupt. We also lose a final shot in that scene that focuses on Billy's face almost as if in slow-motion. It's a great shot that adds a quiet tranquility to the end of the scene that then transitions beautifully to the scene with Garrett cooking his food on the frying pan.

Another case to note is that of the Ruthie Lee scene. In the Turner Preview version, the owner of the brothel/saloon knocks a glass over and this transitions beautifully into one of the prostitutes turning the hourglass over. In the Special Edition we lose this nice transition because the Ruthie Lee scene has been added before it. Instead we get a decent audio transition from the sound of the glass being knocked over to the sound of Ruthie Lee knocking on Garrett's door, but it is not as strong as the original.

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #55 - 04/08/15 at 5:59pm

Quote:
Another case to note is that of the Ruthie Lee scene. In the Turner Preview version, the owner of the brothel/saloon knocks a glass over and this transitions beautifully into one of the prostitutes turning the hourglass over. In the Special Edition we lose this nice transition because the Ruthie Lee scene has been added before it. Instead we get a decent audio transition from the sound of the glass being knocked over to the sound of Ruthie Lee knocking on Garrett's door, but it is not as strong as the original.

If I understand you correctly, this has nothing to do with the Ruthie Lee scene (it's essential to the film) but due to what I believe to be the scene in the saloon being slightly cut differently, perhaps to try to make the missing scene less obvious.  No one who loves this film could sanction the scene being deleted because of a better transition...! That's like deciding not to trade in an old car for a new one because the color of the old one better matches the garage.
« Last Edit: 04/08/15 at 6:03pm by Robert Blenheim »  

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #56 - 04/08/15 at 6:02pm

Novecento wrote on 04/07/15 at 8:57pm:
You should have posted that under the topic dedicated to the book  Tongue

I thought this was it.  And I thought today it was cut from the other topic.   Hey, I goofed.  Does it really matter?   Gettin' old...!

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #57 - 04/08/15 at 8:41pm

Robert Blenheim wrote on 04/08/15 at 5:59pm:
[quote]If I understand you correctly, this has nothing to do with the Ruthie Lee scene (it's essential to the film) but due to what I believe to be the scene in the saloon being slightly cut differently, perhaps to try to make the missing scene less obvious.  No one who loves this film could sanction the scene being deleted because of a better transition...! That's like deciding not to trade in an old car for a new one because the color of the old one better matches the garage.

Yes, I'm not commenting on whether the scene should be there or not for narrative purposes, but rather just on the unfortunate sacrifices that were made to the editing when scenes were lifted/added/re-arranged for the two non-Preview (i.e. the theatrical and 2005 Special editions). Another one to note is during the cockfighting scene when the flurry of feathers transitions to the shot of the guy being rounded up by Garrett on his horse far better in the complete Preview version than in the shortened Special Edition.

One more interesting change is the replacement of the shot of the bucking horses when Billy walks out to the outhouse with a shot of Billy walking through some pigs. While the shot of him walking through the pigs is a nicer image, the shot of the horses ties in well with the following shot of the horses in a much calmer state immediately after Billy exits the outhouse. The horse shots bookend the outhouse sequence well and it's great how they are frantic before Billy retrieves the gun in the outhouse but then calm down once he exits as if representing the calm before the storm.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10