Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
El Dorado Productions & 'Passion & Poetry' updated release info! (Read 35219 times)
Novecento

Re: El Dorado Productions & 'Passion & Poetry' updated release info!
Reply #48 - 02/20/14 at 8:06pm

It might indeed be a PAL/NTSC issue.

Some TV manufacturers block PAL input in the US (probably to block cheap exports) so if the DVD player does not have a PAL to NTSC converter it won't play. I think Panasonic and Samsung are often problems while LG and Sony are not, but it can vary depending on the TV set as well so you can't just shop on brand.

Ideally of course you want a TV that supports both because any kind of conversion affects image quality.

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #49 - 02/20/14 at 8:57pm

No, Mike, I have three A locked Blu-ray machines: a Sony, Samsung and LG.  I have an Oppo International.  The "Passion & Poetry" IS only R1.  It will only play on the international machine.

I have many imported Blu-rays and DVDs, and I know when they are region-free (e.g., the UK Blu-ray of "Match Point", "Katyn", and the French "Danton" which all play on all my US Blu-ray machines.)

I assure you, my copy of "Passion & Poetry" is only R1.

By the way, I have Mike Siegel's "Convoy", "Killer Elite", "Cross of Iron" (Blu-Rays) and "Deadly Companions" (German DVD).  I will be getting the two-disc "Straw Dogs" in the future.  Anything with his name on it, I cannot live without.  I just wish Siegel's documentaries and editions came out in America!  (Why not?)

PS: Other region-free DVDs (from U.K., for example) play on ALL my machines, so it isn't the PAL problem.
« Last Edit: 02/20/14 at 9:02pm by Robert Blenheim »  

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #50 - 02/20/14 at 10:39pm

Make sure your TV is accepting a PAL signal (look if it says 576p rather than 480p). If it says 480p for a PAL DVD then the signal is being converted to NTSC by the player for your TV either because the player is fixed to do that regardless or because your TV won't accept PAL and hence the player is switching the output. Your region A BD players might not be able to output PAL at all which is why they may be struggling. Your multi-region BD player might only give unconverted PAL in region B and unconverted NTSC in region A; for PAL in region A for example, it might well be using a converter which the region A locked players do not have.

IP Logged

mike bishop
Global Moderator

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Sindelfingen
Reply #51 - 02/21/14 at 4:41am

Of course there could be a problem with the DVD.
For instance I bought the Italian BD of Leone's GIU LA TESTA. Same code as here in Germany of course. I watched it. Love that film Smiley.
Two weeks I wanted to check a scene and it refused to play! Said 'wrong region code!' I took it to a friend - same issue!
Yesterday I tried again - and it played... Gives you headaches really.

Robert, I appreciate your enthusiasm. In case you are rich: just invite me to Florida and I'll bring you STRAW DOGS + dozens of hours of footage on Sam Peckinpah that will make your heart cheer with joy Smiley.

Well, make sure to get ALFREDO GARCIA (Twilight Time Blu-ray USA) before it is sold out. THey have only a 3000 printing. They released CHRISTINE on BD (I'm into vintage cars a lot), I missed it and now they charge 100.- or whatever at Amazon. Crazy Smiley
GARCIA is my first deal with America since MAJOR DUNDEE (DVD in 2005). It is a difficult market, unfortunately. With the majors it is very tough to make dealy, certain films one can't even locate the rightholders. And there's is still the issue to learn about planned releases in time! Sometimes I learn about a release and it is too late.

AND LET'S NOT FORGET - HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAM !
« Last Edit: 02/21/14 at 4:44am by mike bishop »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #52 - 02/21/14 at 7:11pm

Thanks so much, Mike.

O I WISH I WERE THAT RICH!!!!  (And how I wish I could see the 'dozens of hours' on Peckinpah!!!   (Sigh!)

Yes, Happy Birthday, Old Gila Monster!

PS: I've already ordered "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia" on Blu-ray.

IP Logged

JEFF1950

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #53 - 02/22/14 at 4:10am

Robert

It sounds like you have it bad. Sam Peckinpah under your skin.
I have it along with other true believers, I've had it since I walked out of my local cinema on a cold November evening in 1969 after I saw the Wild Bunch, Sam changed my life. I've never been the same since.
Keep up the good work.

Jeff

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10