Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Noon Wine (1966) (Read 19206 times)
Starblack
YaBB Newbies

Sam Peckinpah Fan

UK
Re: Noon Wine (1966)
Reply #6 - 05/26/11 at 7:49am

I had the pleasure of seeing this elusive nugget for the first time last night. It deserves all the praise. A finely judged portrayal of the consequences of violence (what else), its got that rhythmic, vernacular dialogue Peckinaph loved so much (no wonder he adored the novella), acute characterisations and a potency that is really striking when you consider it was made for mainstream television in the mid-Sixties.

It says a lot about the psychological toll taken by violence in under an hour. (Of course, the main act of violence occurs offscreen, but the scene in which the Swede is dealt a mortal blow was quite shocking in its own way, due to the shock on his face and the strangled scream he emits).

I found it powerful and moving, full of affecting 'moments' in which the characters reveal much without saying anything (again, a Peckinpah trait when he was on form). There is also judicious use of montage and voiceover to propel the story and keep it concise.

I enjoyed seeing Ben Johnson and LQ Jones in supporting roles, too. 

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #7 - 12/04/12 at 8:13pm

JEFF1950 wrote on 02/05/10 at 10:20am:
Noon Wine was originally made in color but as far as I know there is only one copy which still exists in its original form, Jason Robards had a personal copy but where that is now is anybody's guess.
Sam might have had one but I don't know that for sure.
The reason it is b/w now is probably because of over copying bleaching the color out of it.
Is there someone out there who knows what happend to the Jason Robards copy?

I took the opportunity to watch this a few months back at the Library of Congress in Washington DC. It seemed to be a digitized version of a color TV recording (obviously not the original airing from the 60s which would have been b&w I assume). I think it was a donation to the library by Robards.

IP Logged

Gashade

Paris, France
Reply #8 - 12/06/12 at 12:18pm

Great news!! This film would really deserve a proper release!
« Last Edit: 12/06/12 at 12:18pm by Gashade »  

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #9 - 12/07/12 at 11:11pm

I think it would make the perfect extra feature on a nice Blu-ray of "The Ballad of Cable Hogue"

IP Logged

mike bishop
Global Moderator

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Sindelfingen
Reply #10 - 12/08/12 at 5:19am

I'm daydreaming too here and there Smiley

Would be great if the rights for NOON WINE would be available for a release, but I doubt that. Sad story.

And wonderful CABLE was and is treated like Howard the Duck. The DVD master is poor, there's no really good print available. In 2006 at the Bologna Peckinpah restrospective we screened the print from the BFI and I was shocked: a whole reel was missing, I couldn't believe it..

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #11 - 03/08/13 at 3:35pm

"The UCLA Festival of Preservation, held at the Billy Wilder Theater at the Hammer Museum, runs through March 30 and is marking its 25th anniversary.

The fest, held every two years, always aims for an eclectic screenings sked, according to Jan-Christopher Horak , director of the archive. Projects range from rarely seen short subjects and newsreels to silent features (“Mantrap,” “Midnight Madness”) to Robert Altman’s dark 1969 drama “That Cold Day in the Park.” There are also a number of TV excavations, including a night dedicated to Julie Harris’ smallscreen work and a Sam Peckinpah-directed seg of ABC’s “Stage 67.”

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10