Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Peckinpah DVDs (Read 11989 times)
Gashade

Paris, France
Peckinpah DVDs
01/24/10 at 3:56pm

I thought I'd start a new topic about the good DVD editions of Peckinpah' films out there (quality + bonuses).
The idea is to see what's best and what would still be needed...
I probably do not know all that's available out there, so please correct me if you feel there is something better.

The Deadly Companions
I only have the St-Clair Vision all regions edition which seems to have a decent picture quality, and a very bad french edition (Bach films). No bonuses. Can't wait to see Mike's edition - once again : good luck, Mike!
By the way, does anyone have the Fremantle edition? How is it?

Ride The High Country
The Warner western boxed set.

Major Dundee
The Columbia Tristar restaured edition seems to be what's best. Will we ever see more cut scenes (especially the opening at the Rostes ranch)? Who knows...

The Wild Bunch

The Ballad Of Cable Hogue

Straw Dogs
The Fremantle edition, full of bonuses, and Mike's excelent edition made for Euro Video.

Junior Bonner
I have the MGM Western Legends edition with the audio commentary by Paul Seydor, Garner Simmos, David Weddle and Nick Redman. Somehow I miss the fact it doesn't have more bonuses...

The Getaway
The WB edition with commentaries - including a made up commentary by Peckinpah, Steve McQueen and Ali MacGraw.
Somehow I miss a nice documentary there...
I've heard the Wanted Dead Or Alive box set has a documentary about McQueen with some footage from the shooting of the Getaway, but I haven't got around to checking it out.

Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid
The Warner western boxed set - and hoping for a new edition, ideally with the MGM and the Turner versions in good quality and a maybe new one? Or with at least all missing scenes as bonuses...

Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia
The MGM edition with audio commentaries. A documentary about Oates would be nice though...

The Killer Elite
I have MGM edition with the film's trailer as only bonus. I must confess I'm not a big fan of that film (though I like the scene where they approach the big ship - and Fielding's score has great moments) so I'm not missing any special bonuses. But maybe someone has another opinion.

Cross Of Iron
I only have a Korean edition of this one. Some of you can probably recommend something better.
I'm missing some bonuses here. At least the yougoslavian one - by the way, is there a way to get it somehow?

Convoy
I only have a french edition made by Canal +, with no bonuses. Is there something better?

The Osterman Weekend
The Anchor bay edition.
I also have a french edition which is practically identical, with two more featurettes in french : one about Peckinpah in general and about Ludlum.

Mike's Passion And Poetry is a must have.

As for peckinpah's TV work, about all of it is available via fans.
I think at least the Westerner and Noon Wine would definitely deserve a proper DVD edition.

And as for peckinpah's cameos:
Is there a way to get Dial Red O?
There seems to be no DVD of An Annapolis Story yet. It is on VHS though.
Does anyone have the WB Archive Collection edition of Wichita?
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers is on DVD, with an interview of Kevin McCarthy.
I must confess I haven't even seen Chain Of Evidence...
Does anyone have a good edition of China 9, Liberty 37?
I only have The Visitor on VHS...
There is another thread on the spanish film.

I seem to remember one of the Julian Lenon videos is on a box set of viedoclips from the 80s.

Any other ideas?...

IP Logged

Mike S.
Ex Member

Re: Peckinpah DVDs
Reply #1 - 01/25/10 at 6:10am

I guess Nate wanted to start a DVD corner / topics...
That would be good. Each film deserves a DVD-thread..

Looks like I just found an US 35mm trailer for TRIGGER HAPPY (Deadly Companions re-release 1963)! That's the only Sam-Film I never saw a trailer... Great find for our DVD.

I tried to launch a German SE DVD for Junior Bonner, (same label
that holds Straw Dogs), but it 'wasn't commercial enough'. Just sad.

Same with CROSS OF IRON. I'll make a long doc about CROSS, maybe going down to Slovenia. But the German rights were taken by CANAL+ and they don't seem to care at all.
Does ANYBODY have a DVD contact to Japan?

IP Logged

Gashade

Paris, France
Reply #2 - 01/25/10 at 4:46pm

I just realised I forgot to mention the Straw Dogs Criterion edition with the Man Of Iron documentary, as well as the Henstooth Cross Of Iron edition, with audio commentary by Stephen Prince.
Japan would be a good idea. I'll try to dig into this a bit.
A new Cross Of Iron edition could include the japanese commercials Sam did with Coburn while he was promoting the film in Japan...

IP Logged

Cineriz
YaBB Newbies

Sam Peckinpah Fan

UK
Reply #3 - 01/25/10 at 5:23pm

I have the StudioCanal version of Cross of Iron which is allegedly in 1:85. No bonuses apart from a photo gallery and filmographies. All very basic and in much need of detail. Better then not having it at all though! Can get the Henstooth 'special edition' for about 16. Very tempted, so is it worth it??? Not sure how it will differ in ratio from the one I have but the audio commentary sounds appealing. What do you think?

IP Logged

Gashade

Paris, France
Reply #4 - 01/25/10 at 6:11pm

I do not have the Henstooth edition. My DVD player doesn't read american DVDs and I can't find a Region 2 or Region free one.
But I really liked Stephen Prince's books, especially the one about violence.

IP Logged

Cineriz
YaBB Newbies

Sam Peckinpah Fan

UK
Reply #5 - 01/26/10 at 6:13am

Region 2 available from Amazon uk for 3.98. From Amazon France for about 9. This is the StudioCanal release..........

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7