Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 15
Peckinpah books (Read 34700 times)
Gashade

Paris, France
Peckinpah books
02/17/10 at 7:33pm

I agree that one post for each film would be good.
In the mean time, here's another long post with a list of books about Peckinpah. I remember the time when we were discussing how there were not enough books, DVDs or documentaries about Peckinpah on the old forum, and although things are not perfect (nothing is, in life), I realise a lot has been done in the last years.

Anyway, I may have forgotten some things. There is no particular order, more just how it went in the order I found in my library. Sorry about the different sizes of the pictures.

Garner Simmons – Peckinpah, A Portrait In Montage
University Of Texas Press, USA, 1982
One the basic books on Peckinpah, a personal and insightful account of the author’s relationship with Peckinpah, through a close look at the making of his films, up until Convoy. (Has been translated in Spanish and Japanese.)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

David Weddle – If They Move... Kill ‘Em
Grove Press, USA, 1994
The one and only good biography about Peckinpah.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Paul Seydor – Peckinpah, The Western Films, A Reconsideration
University Of Illinois Press, USA, 1980
One of the best books there is. Excellent overview of the historic, artistic and literary context of Peckinpah’s films.

Stephen Prince – Savage Cinema, Sam Peckinpah And The Rise Of Ultraviolent Movies
University Of Texas Press, USA, 1998
Excellent book about the violence in Peckinpah’s films, and the misconception people have about « Bloody » Sam. Quite opened my eyes on how to look at Straw Dogs.

Mike Siegel – Passion And Poetry
Schwarzkopf Und Schwarzkopf, Germany, 2003
I’m too lazy to read in German – forgive me, Mike. Anyway, this book is THE best picture book on Peckinpah, with an incredibly high amount of pictures, photographs from the films and the sets, posters and other memorabilia – and a lot of it in colour.

Max Evans – Sam Peckinpah, Master Of Violence
Dakota Press, USA, 1972
Very precious acount of the making of The Ballad Of Cable Hogue, written by great writer 5he had a bit part in the film as one the coach drivers).

Michael Bliss – Justified Lives, Morality And Narrative In The Films Of Sam Peckinpah
Southern Illinois Universioty Press, USA, 1993
Very interesting analysis of Peckinpah’s work, film by film, with great attention given to the caracters and their interaction.

Michael Bliss – Doing It Right
Southern Illinois University Press, USA, 1994
A very good collection of essays on The Wild Bunch reprinted from various newspapers, including a text by Paul Schrader.

Stephen Prince – Sam Peckinpah’s The Wild Bunch
Cambridge University Press, UK, 1999
Probably the most interesting book on The Wild Bunch. Includes an analytic comparison by Paul Seydor of the film with its script which shows how Peckinpah used to work once he was on set.

Franco La Polla – Sam Peckinpah, Il Ritmo Della Violenza
Cineteca Bologna, Le Mani, Italy, 2006
Excellent collection of essays. Those which have struck me most is one about the scores of Peckinpah’s films and another one about a meeting Peckinpah had with Monte Hellman, Federico Fellini and Sergio Leone during preproduction of China 9, Liberty 37.

Gerard Camy – Sam Peckinpah, Un realisateur dans le systeme hollywoodien des annees soixante et soixante-dix
L’Harmattan, France, 1997
Rather good book about the man and the films, with insightful analysis.

Bill Mesce JR – Peckinpah’s Women
The Scarecorw Press, USA, 2001
Very interesting look on Peckinpah’s portrayal of women in his Westerns. Precious putting in context with the historic reality of the the life of women in USA in the 19th century.

Francois Causse – Sam Peckinpah, La Violence du Crepuscule
Dreamland, France, 2001
Very good film by film analysis, with bits of biographic and contextual historic and cinematographic information, and a lot of colour pictures.

Jim Kitses – Horizon West
Indiana University Press, USA, 1970
One of the very first books on Peckinpah (and Anthony Mann and Budd Boetticher), insightful (even if it stops with The Wild Bunch).

Doug McKinney – Sam Peckinpah
Twayne Publishers, USA, 1979
Very insightful film by film analysis, with biographic elements (up until Convoy).

Terence Butler – Crucified Heroes
Gordon Fraser, UK, 1979
Interesting film by film analysis.

Jean-Francois Fourny – Samuel Peckinpah, Du Vieil Ouest A l’Etat De Securite Nationale
Seguier, France, 2009
Quite interesting study of the historic and political context with which Peckinpah’s films deal with, and in which they were made.

Electronic Drama, Television Plays Of The Sixties
Beacon Press, USA, 1971
Contains Peckinpah’s script of Noon Wine

Jeff Slater – Entered His House Justified
Booksurge, USA, 2006
Jeff Slater has one of the greatest collections of Peckinpah memorabilia, including several medals Peckinpah used to give to the members of the crew who « survived » the shooting of his films. His book is, to me, a good companion to Weddle’s biography (as it has a lot of new pieces of information) and Mike Siegel’s german picture book (as it has a lot of new pictures – although only in black and white).

Fabrice Revault - La Horde sauvage de Sam Peckinpah
Yellow Now, Belgium, 2007
Analysis of The Wild Bunch. Small book, written in an unbearably academic style, but with interesting ideas, especially a comparison with Nietzsche’ notion of tragic optimism.

Sumiyo Toyama – Sam Peckinpah
Exquire Magazine, Japan, 2001
Interesting collection of essays by Japanese authors (including analysis of his television work, as well as a strange text about peckinpah’s women – not his porptrayal of women, but the women that counted in his life), with translations of Peckinpah interviews, and texts by Lucien Ballard, Stirling Silliphant... and an interview with Warren Oates. Contains reproductions of nice japanese posters and programs.

Marshall Fine – Bloody Sam
Donald I. Fine, USA, 1991
The worse of Peckinpah’s two biographies. Nevertheless, while being more sensationalist and uselessly dwelling in Peckinpah’s exesses, it still contains various interesting bits of information for someone who would like to go deeper than what’s in David Weddle’s biography.

Sam Peckinpah Interviews
University Press Of Mississippi-Jackson, USA, 2008
I guess many Peckinpah fans will have many of these interviews in the original magazines where they have been published, but it still is a nice collection of interviews ranging from 1963 to 1982.

Susan Compo – Warren Oates, A Wild Life
The University Press Of Kentucky, USA, 2009
Personnally, I ‘ve been a little bit disapointed by this biography, as I’ve had the impression that I’ve learned about a lot of people and place with whom and where Oates liked to hang out, mut not so much about the man himself. But... it is - and chances are it will long remain – the only book about this great actor.

Jon Tuska – Close-Up
The Scarecrow Press, USA, 1981
Only a little more than 30 pages are dedicated to Peckinpah, but with an inteligent synthesis of his films and themes.

Will Wright – Six Guns And Society
University of California Press, USA, 1975
Studies Peckinpah’s films from a sociologic point of view.

Rudolph Wurlitzer – Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid
The New American Library, USA, 1973
Original script.

Umberto Mosca – Sam Peckinpah, Il Mucchio Selvaggio
Lindau Film, Italy, 1997
Frame by frame analysis of The Wild Bunch.

Bernard F. Dukore – Sam Peckinpah’s Films
University Of Illinois Press, USA, 1999
Decent book on the man and the films.

Neil Fulwood – The Films Of Sam Peckinpah
B T Batsford, UK, 2002
Decent film by film analysis. Wouldn’t recommend it as a first choice as I found it a little bit less interesting.

Valerio Caprara – Sam Peckinpah
Il Castoro, Italy, 1997
Basic information on the man and his films.

Leonard Engel – Sam Peckinpah’s West
The University Of Utah Press, USA, 2003
I found this one a little bit academic, dwelling in theoretical ideas...

Richard Luck – Sam Peckinpah
Pocket Essentials, UK, 2000
Very short and not very exciting film by film account. Gave me the impression that the author deosn’t really like Peckinpah (then, why write a book about him ?).

D. Harlan Wilson – Sam Peckinpah, An Ultraviolent Romance
Shroud Publishing, USA, 2009
Has nothing to do with Peckinpah.

And here are some more that I haven't read:
Francisco Javier Urkijo – Sam Peckinpah
Catedra, Spain, 1995
In spanish. Has a picture from The Ballad Of Cable Hogue on the cover, which could be a good sign.

Frank Arnold, Ulrich von Berg – Sam Peckinpah, Ein Outlaw In Hollywood
Populare Kultur, Germany, 1987
Maybe Mike could tell us what’s this book like...

Carlos F. Heredero – Sam Peckinpah
JC, Spain, 1982
In Spanish, haven’t read it, but looks rather interesting...

Gabrielle Murray - This Wounded Cinema, This Wounded Life: Violence and Utopia in the Films of Sam Peckinpah
Praeger Publishers, USA, 2004
Is a bit expensive, haven’t got around to buying it yet. But I have a bad feeling about it: Straw dogs seems to be only briefly mentioned in a foot note…

Leonardo Garcia Tsao – Sam Peckinpah
Universidad de Guadalajara, Mexico, 1990
Haven’t got this one. It is part of a series about great directors. I'm not sure if it is very personal as the same author has also written the books about Truffaut, Tarkovski and Welles, all great directors, but with quite different styles...

Max Evans – Hi Lo To Hollywood
Texas Tech University Press, USA, 1998
Haven’t got this one yet, but I hear it has all the articles Evans has written about Peckinpah and the movie business in general.

Cordell Strug – Lament Of An Audience On The Death Of An Artist
Ytterli Press, USA, 2008
I have just ordered this one, it’s looking rather good.
« Last Edit: 02/06/11 at 7:57pm by Gashade »  

IP Logged

The Dude

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Italy
Re: Peckinpah books
Reply #1 - 02/21/10 at 12:15pm

Great and very helpful topic.
Maybe we could insert the covers too ...
« Last Edit: 02/21/10 at 12:15pm by The Dude »  

IP Logged

JEFF1950

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #2 - 02/21/10 at 3:21pm

Gachade . you can add another book to that list. Max Evans 'Super Bull & Other True Escapades' the 1st chapter of 20 odd pages is on sam and is entitled 'A Very Personal Rememberance' published by the University of New Mexico Press 1986

IP Logged

Gashade

Paris, France
Reply #3 - 02/21/10 at 11:24pm

Isn't it the same text as in Hi Lo To Hollywood (which is a selection of various texts taken from various books and sources)?

IP Logged

JEFF1950

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #4 - 02/22/10 at 12:11pm

I don't know, I don't have 'Hi Lo To Hollywood' so I can't compare.

IP Logged

Gashade

Paris, France
Reply #5 - 03/07/10 at 4:58pm

I've just read Cordell Strug's Lament Of An Audience On The Death Of An Artist. It's a nice book, but quite short and without much new information. To my oponion, he values too much Sam' last films.
But his views on The Getaway are very interesting though: he considers a purely commercial film (which it is) and says it is Sam's first big failure, artistically speaking (which it is, too, of course) despite the tecnical virtuosity and how enjoyable the film still is.
His point is that the times in wich Peckinpah was living had changed by then. and that his alienation from modern life had grown faster than his ability to expressit.
Basically, according to Strug, Peckinpah's last films are not about an artist probing alienation, but about an artist being alienated, which is a very good point, I think.

And yes: Hi Lo to Hollywood and Superbull contain pretty much the same texts, except Hi Lo to Hollywood has more of them.
« Last Edit: 02/06/11 at 8:00pm by Gashade »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 15