Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15
Peckinpah books (Read 39840 times)
Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Re: Peckinpah books
Reply #24 - 03/23/14 at 3:17pm

I just finished reading Ian Cooper's book on "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia" and, although the author is not particularly known as a Peckinpah expert, it is a really wonderful book about this film, and expresses an honest remembrance of how he went from a dislike of the film to loving it.  In fact, I found his 'journey' mirrors my own.  His take on this film is really worth reading!  I really think he nails this film.
« Last Edit: 03/23/14 at 3:20pm by Robert Blenheim »  

IP Logged

Gashade

Paris, France
Reply #25 - 03/23/14 at 6:22pm

This is quite subjective but, as I fell in love with Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia immediately, those passages where the author is describing how he gradually came to like the film were a bit disappointing to me. I fell there's more to be said about it than what the book offers - for instance on how it's best viewed on several levels (literal, metaphorical, absurd, existential...).
I'd love to hear Monte Hellman talk about the film as its feels to me like Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia is, on a more visceral level, Peckinpah's film that most resembles Hellman's sensibility.
But on the other hand, it's such an unusual film with moments that can so easily repulse many people that I'm quite glad that there's at least this one book dedicated only to it...
« Last Edit: 03/23/14 at 6:25pm by Gashade »  

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #26 - 03/23/14 at 8:26pm

Gashade wrote on 03/23/14 at 6:22pm:
This is quite subjective but, as I fell in love with Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia immediately, those passages where the author is describing how he gradually came to like the film were a bit disappointing to me. ...

Yes, it IS subjective.  And I have to confess that I shared the author's experience and was disappointed on the first viewing.  It was so unlike Peckinpah's other films, at times clumsy and sleazy.  Today it's what makes it special, and why so many like myself admire it.

Also, many people have shared my view (and the author's) as to it being a film one later learned to love.  I've heard others say the same thing.  It's kind of a common view, at least when the film came out.    When you first saw it, was it when it first came out?   Had I seen it for the first time a few years ago I think I'd have had no trouble seeing its greatness (especially because the critical view has changed), but not when it came out.

And why did you find this disappointing in the book, Gashade?  Even if you loved the film from the first time you saw it (as I have for decades now), it's a wonderful case for how someone with some critical faculties can 'come around' and why.  To me it's one of the admirable things in the book.  Why would it have been non-'disappointing' if he had loved it from the first viewing?  The fact he didn't actually like it at first helps articulate how the film can be broken down and appreciated.

PS: Two main things bothered me the most when I first saw it, and today still haven't been things I accept completely: 1) The violence in the early sections (NOT the last section!) sometimes lacks his usual intensity and seems sometimes Peckinpah 'doing his thing' without really feeling it, and 2) The way the rape sequence with Kristofferson is confusingly dragged out and how it develops inconsistently as far as what it's trying to say.    Incidentally, the second point is discussed in some detail in the 'second commentary' on the Blu-ray.  A couple of the experts still feel the same way, that it doesn't quite work!
« Last Edit: 03/23/14 at 8:37pm by Robert Blenheim »  

IP Logged

Richard W

a straight arrow

Arizona, mostly.
Reply #27 - 04/05/14 at 9:26pm

I have an extra copy of Rudolph Wurlitzer's paperback Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, which contains a script for the film. It's been read and looks used. If anyone wants to buy it or trade for it PM me.

"I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
Raymond Chandler, 1939.

IP Logged

Gashade

Paris, France
Reply #28 - 04/28/14 at 7:02pm

A new book by Max Evans is to come out on October:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
I hope he's not going to be just rehashing what he's already written elsewhere...

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #29 - 04/28/14 at 8:59pm

Thanks for the info, Gashade.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15