Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
CROSS OF IRON Blu-Ray Special Edition UK / Germany (Read 25058 times)
LPLQ
YaBB Newbies

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Re: CROSS OF IRON BlueRay Special Edition UK / Germany
Reply #48 - 07/30/12 at 7:57pm

Thanks...would really appreciate it!  I got the rights through a company called Limelight - link is:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Was pretty easy to do, once I got all the necessary information...

IP Logged

Sergej

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #49 - 04/18/13 at 2:03pm

mike bishop wrote on 07/29/12 at 5:05am:
Well then prepare for 250 more minutes Smiley
You'll get it next week, I shipped 5 days ago..

this 250 minute addition - you're reffering to 2xdvd ballad & poetry or 250 minute addition to double dvd B&P?
« Last Edit: 04/18/13 at 2:07pm by Sergej »  

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #50 - 02/19/14 at 4:27pm

This is a perfect time to thank you, Mike Siegel, for all you are doing to further Sam Peckinpah's legacy!

IP Logged

Novecento

Re: CROSS OF IRON Blu-Ray Special Edition UK / Germany
Reply #51 - 03/25/16 at 10:25pm

I've stimulated some discussion regarding the color scheme used for the blu-ray of this over at the blu-ray.com forums:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #52 - 03/30/16 at 10:12am

Here's what was posted (my comments in bold):

Quote:
This really does need re-doing. I think a steely, slightly desaturated bleach-bypass look would be just the job. That look wasn't available when Peckinpah made the film, I know he was going for a desaturated image & ended up with a greeny look, that's even worse now on the Blu-ray. This is a brilliant film & it deserves better.

Interesting comment. How exactly would a desaturated look end up green? Also, are you suggesting that the color should be re-done but in a different manner from the original so as to attain what you say Peckinpah (or rather Coquillon) was aiming for but did not manage to achieve?

I don't know, maybe going away from warm colours he ended up with green, there wasn't really a way to desaturate a print then (he'd been better off with a cold look), what's worse, the picture is so flat on the Blu-ray)

With bleach-bypass (so beloved by film-makers about 15 years ago) you get deep blacks desaturated colours, a cold look, I'd think perfect for Cross Of Iron. This is achieved by bypassing the bleach bath on the processing machine. Peckinpah didn't have that option then. Meanwhile, I'd rather have my memories of this film than own the rotten looking Blu-ray.

Thanks - I'm curious since all the other reviewers that criticized the colors said it was not an authentic representation of the original. It seems you are saying that it is actually an authentic representation of the original, its just that the original was not what Peckinpah and Coquillon intended. Also, hadn't Vilmos Zsigmond already famously flashed the print of McCabe & Mrs Miller 6 years earlier to get a desaturated look?

Yes there was, and that kind of grading, if not commonplace, was often used in 70s films - the end of Taxi Driver was deliberately desaturated through a Chemtone process to avoid getting an X rating because of the quantities of onscreen blood, for example. John Huston and Oswald Morris were experimenting with how far the process could be taken long before that, desaturating the Eastman-shot Moby Dick through adapting the Technicolor dye-transfer system on the release prints to get the look of vintage whaling prints. Freddie Young used pre-exposed stock on The Deadly Affair to create a muted color range that Sidney Lumet called 'colorless color.' The opening sequence of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is another example, albeit in a very different style. Had Peckinpah really wanted a drastically desaturated look - something that he never really went for in any of his films - he certainly would have had the means to do it in 1976-77, either in-camera or processing the release prints.

I'm thinking back to a documentary I saw on the telly about Peckenpah, I can't remember much about it, I think it was about the time of Cross Of Iron, & it in he was at the lab trying to mute the colours (not "drastically desaturate" it)*. He didn't use flashed stock when he shot it & probably didn't have any budget left to muck around too much. But...I'd be happy with a full colour version, as long as it looked good. That's all I really want, a good looking Blu-ray of Cross Of Iron.

*or was it a doc about Cross Of Iron? In it, they talk of how the ending came about...they ran out of money, Peckenpah came to the set one morning & no crew or cast, shooting finished, no money left!

Though it never hit the crisis point it did on Convoy, Peckinpah's drug abuse problem was so bad on the film that he reportedly forgot he had already filmed certain scenes and had sent the actors home and would turn up on set expecting to shoot them for the first time. The story was that the only day he turned up on the set on time was the day after they'd finished shooting. But I do know several of the editors who worked on the film - it was basically a tag team effort with different editors working on different sections of the film by the end - and they seemed to be able to find the money for that. It wouldn't have been a huge problem to simply grade the film with a muted look without going through any elaborate special processes, but Peckinpah's state of mind may well have changed from day to day during the process

The interesting thing is that the new BD has quite a muted color scheme - not in a desaturated sense but more in a sepia-tinted sense. I actually really like how it looks and the reviewer of the disc on this site suggests that is how it should actually look. While you do not agree with the reviewer on liking the colors, you do seem to be suggesting that it was the original color (regardless of Coquillon's and Peckinpah's actual intent). It would be great if you could remember where you saw/heard all this.

IP Logged

mike bishop
Global Moderator

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Sindelfingen
Reply #53 - 04/01/16 at 6:24am

Would be great if he could remember.
I researched quite a bit while co-producing the BD, can't recall that quote.

I adjust my TV set a bit when watching the BD, I think the greenish color filters are pretty bad. Just more than a touch-to-much.Skin tones & blood look so much better on 35mm.
I have a beautiful 35mm print and the colors never appear to be "wrong". Of course there is a lot of green, the film was shot late spring/early summer. When you look at the poster you think of the German defeat in Russia due to the winter, but again, the film was shot with the green leaves of summer. You can't desaturate those away. Why would you anyway? The film (35mm) looked and looks great.
Also Sam didn't do drugs on CROSS. "Just" a lot of booze. TRy to get some Coke behind the iron curtain Smiley. EMI picked up the film after filming when Hartwig finally ran out of money (due to Sam's shooting style, then again Hartwig had never done a bigger - or even mediocre - budgeted film before). Editing started only after filming, back in London. And once EMI was aboard there were no restrictions really. Somehow I'm sure they got the prints looking the way they wanted them to look.
« Last Edit: 04/01/16 at 6:25am by mike bishop »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9