Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
The Train Robbery - Wild Bunch (Read 11678 times)
fredm2251
YaBB Newbies

Mucho Dinero - Muchachas
bonitas

Amherst, New Hampshire
The Train Robbery - Wild Bunch
07/16/11 at 11:03pm

I think Sam made the best train robbery scene in film history.
Every other robbery/action scene w/a train lacks something.

Can anyone tell me ANY details about the train robbery scene.
Location? (IMDB is no help)
Where the locomotive is now?
What book has any info on this GREAT scene.
Thanks Mucho.  Big fan of Sam's westerns.

IP Logged

Mike S.
Ex Member

Re: The Train Robbery - Wild Bunch
Reply #1 - 07/17/11 at 1:34pm

Except for some pick-up's and close up's shot at Churubusco Studios in Mexico City all of the Wild Bunch was filmed in the area between Torreon and Parras. I filmed only the Hacienda and the River (Rio Nazas), can't recall where excatly the train waterstop was located. East of Torreon. The same (and only) tracks where Mapache's Pancho Villa battle was filmed.
During the filming of the robbery the locomotive hit with a flat car. Nobody was hurt, but check the damaged locomotive...
(some rare stills:)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: 07/17/11 at 1:35pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

fredm2251
YaBB Newbies

Mucho Dinero - Muchachas
bonitas

Amherst, New Hampshire
Reply #2 - 07/17/11 at 4:54pm

Wow! Great pics.  THANKS for the Quick reply!

Internet Movie DataBase must be wrong as they list the train robbery as being filmed in LaGoma Durango, Mexico and the attack by Pancho as being filmed in El Romeral, Toledo, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain. (However it did sort of resemble a railway scene in "OnceUponATimeInTheWest")

Looking on Google Earth, but poor resolution in the areas make it hard to pick out any landmarks from the film. Also the passing the years have probably erased many of them including the Water Tower.

But My Gosh, What a PERFECT LOCATION for the time period.

IP Logged

Mike S.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/17/11 at 5:05pm

It's La Loma (not La Goma),
which is outside of Torreon Smiley

El Romeral, funny.

IP Logged

gazza
YaBB Newbies

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #4 - 07/18/11 at 8:52am

Mike, all i have to say is, WHERE did you get ALL this Sam Peckinpah collection from ? It's amazing ! From photographs that nobody has ever seen. I applaud you and sincerely thank you.
It's just amazing... I bet if i asked you of a photo of Sam on the "Rifleman" set, you would have one....

IP Logged

Mike S.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/18/11 at 9:57am

gazza wrote on 07/18/11 at 8:52am:
It's just amazing... I bet if i asked you of a photo of Sam on the "Rifleman" set, you would have one....

No, that's the one I would pay you 100,00.- for Smiley

Me & Jeff (here in the forum) are longtime collectors, WILD BUNCH
is our favorite film so we got together about 1000 photos of that title alone I suppose.
But with 'the early Sam' it is very very difficult. Behind the scenes photos of his first years are very hard to come by. Guess we have about 20+ set photos from before 1963. From DUNDEE on it's easier to find stuff. (GARCIA is difficult too). On DEADLY COMPANIONS (or TV stuff, much worse) they probably took 500 stills, on big studio films like BUNCH or GETAWAY probably 10.000+ (not that they were all made into 8x10 stills of course)
A lot of rare stills are in Jeff's book (Entered his House Justified) and in my book (Passion & Poetry - Sam Peckinpah in Pictures).
On the German SE DVD's / BD for DEADLY COMPANIONS, STRAW DOGS & CROSS OF IRON I included some 700 b/w stills (mostly rare behind the scenes shots) alone ..

PS: I was always disappointed that only very few 'official' stills exist of the train robbery. Really a shame. Lobby card-wise it is even worse. Except for Spain (and Asia and other obscure memorabilia markets) I have almost all lobby cards worldwide and only an Italian photobusta features the train robbery!

« Last Edit: 07/18/11 at 10:05am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4