Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
The Westerner (Read 4197 times)
Stanton

Sam Peckinpah Fan

The Westerner
11/13/11 at 6:35am

as you all might know Sam Peckinpah learned his profession by directing some TV stuff before he got the chance for making feature films. He created The Westerner starring Brian Keith, from which a pilot in 1959 and 13 episodes in 1960 were aired. All only with a 25 min runtime.

Some of his episodes for The Westerner are excellent. Much better than TV usually was up to the 90s, and even better directed and written than most of the then contemporary feature films.

Here is the episode Jeff, which is probably the best of these, and which already brought Peckinpah in trouble with censorship:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Watch it soon before it gets deleted again.

IP Logged

Gashade

Paris, France
Re: The Westerner
Reply #1 - 11/13/11 at 9:58am

The Westerner is a great series. Totally unusual for TV standards, event today. It would really deserve a DVD release. Just as Noon Wine would.

IP Logged

Stanton

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #2 - 04/14/13 at 11:42am

Here's another remarkable episode of The Westerner called Line Camp:

This one was written and directed by Tom Gries, who later used some of its ideas for his feature debut Will Penny.
The photography by Peckinpah's favourite DoP Lucien Ballard is remarkable dark. And again the violence is handled with intelligence and with a certain realism. Directing, editing, photography and atmosphere is again closer to cinema than to TV.

IP Logged

Nate B.
YaBB Administrator

If there had to be one,
it would be Sam Peckinpah

USA
Reply #3 - 04/17/13 at 10:53am

Couldn't agree more that it should be released one way or another.... Thanks for the links!

If there had to be one, it would be Sam Peckinpah. Join the discussion at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
For my random junk: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register or for my twitter: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Stanton

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #4 - 02/12/16 at 4:10am

At the moment all episodes of The Westerner are on YouTube. Only exception is the pilot Trouble at Tres Cruces.

But I assume a copy of this one exists too. Or not?

Are there any news about a DVD release? Didn't Nick Redman try to get the rights for a possible DVD release?
The YouTube uploader claims that "THIS SERIES IS IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN".
« Last Edit: 02/12/16 at 4:12am by Stanton »  

IP Logged

Gashade

Paris, France
Reply #5 - 02/14/16 at 4:35pm

All I know is I WANT my The Westerner box set!
And I'd gladly add as extras The Losers (Lee Marvin playing Dave Blassingame, while Burgundy Smith tries to steal Dave's dog) and Miss Jenny (because it's just so good).
What do you think?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2