Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
The Westerner (Read 4196 times)
Stanton

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Re: The Westerner
Reply #6 - 04/08/16 at 7:06am

Mike, do you know on which material TV series like The Westerner were shot?
I assume they shot it on 16 mm, cause its resolution was good enough for its TV only purpose, and certainly cheaper than 35 mm.

IP Logged

mike bishop
Global Moderator

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Sindelfingen
Reply #7 - 04/08/16 at 10:11am

No, as far as I know they (almost) never shot TV on 16mm in Hollywood. In my book there is a behind the scenes still on page 58, there you see the 35mm camera (when I wrote I didn't know the still was covering THE WESTERNER, 'thought it was RTHC).

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Stanton

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #8 - 11/01/18 at 5:51am

Meanwhile The Westerner is out on DVD, and it includes the pilot. I really love it.

For those who want more Peckinpah there is more to find on Youtube. All his episodes of The Rifleman can ve viewed there. Peckinpah wrote the pilot and the 2nd episode (both directed by Arnold Laven) and directed 4 others. It is series about the Ben Hur syndrome, about a man who preaches peace but still kills a lot of guys in every episode. Quite violent for a 50s show.
Less profiled than The Westerner, but also quite interesting, with intense dialogues, occasional offbeat character developments and, yes again, the will to alter screen violence.

Also The Losers, his re-thinking of The Westerner, is now on the Tube, albeit in bad picture quality.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2