Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
The Osterman Weekend - Sam's First Cut (Read 7805 times)
Novecento

Re: The Osterman Weekend - Sam's First Cut
Reply #18 - 05/17/15 at 4:20pm

Going by the last few posts, it looks like I'm having a conversation with myself here  Cheesy . Well, I guess I'll just keep on keeping myself company...

DVD Beaver gave the new BD an ok review

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

However, it's getting a bashing from a few people on the blu-ray.com forum:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It also doesn't include the Peckinpah cut that was on the 2nd disc of the DVD set. It's not that it would have looked any better on BD, but it would have been nice to have it all in one place.

Looking at the old captures from the Peckinpah cut on DVD, I noticed that it hasn't been cropped as heavily on the width as you'd expect for a full-screen version, but has actually been opened up quite a lot vertically instead. Given that many of the changes between the Peckinpah and theatrical cuts involve different cutting orders as much as new content, and that there isn't a huge amount of new content anyway, leads me to an idea...

Could someone perhaps re-cut the theatrical version to match the Peckinpah cut as closely as possible and then use scenes from the Peckinpah cut where additional content is needed? Of course the quality of those scenes/shots will be very significantly compromised, but they did something of this nature for the extended cut of Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in America and while the added scenes do stand out (some more than others), it is still a great thing to have.

« Last Edit: 05/17/15 at 4:26pm by Novecento »  

IP Logged

mike bishop
Global Moderator

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Sindelfingen
Reply #19 - 05/18/15 at 6:52am

Thanks for keeping us informed here!
I'm quite busy these months, not much time to do anything else...

I did not contribute to that release because I never covered that title
a lot while filming PASSION & POETRY. The long documentary
FROM ALPHA TO OMEGA was already in the making back then
and I rather filmed Ernie, RG, LQ & co then the Osterman ''youngsters''
like Rutger Hauer (nice man!) and the others. Lancaster was already gone. Anyway, I think that filmed is covered quite well with
that documentary...
An extended cut would be fun, I agree.
Sounds like a project for cold winter nights.
Another Sam Blu-ray is always a reason to celebrate! I hope HIGH COUNTRY, PAT GARRETT & BONNER will be availablein the (near) future as well.

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #20 - 05/22/15 at 10:50pm

Yes I remember it being an interesting documentary. Not that another Passion & Poetry installment wouldn't have been nice though...

I didn't actually mean an "extended" cut, but rather trying to create the highest quality version possible of the Peckinpah cut. That is to say use the theatrical footage and re-cut it to the specs of the Peckinpah cut as much as possible. The remaining footage would then need to be taken from the original "full-screen" Peckinpah cut and cleaned up as much as possible.

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #21 - 06/07/15 at 10:25am

So Blu-ray.com just trashed the transfer:

I think I'll stick to my DVD copy with the Peckinpah cut included.

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #22 - 01/28/17 at 9:27am

Apparently John Hurt (played Lawrence Fassett) just died.

I always thought he was great in "Heaven's Gate" by the way.
« Last Edit: 01/28/17 at 9:28am by Novecento »  

IP Logged

Gashade

Paris, France
Reply #23 - 01/30/17 at 11:43pm

RIP

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4