Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
The Osterman Weekend - Sam's First Cut (Read 8272 times)
Novecento

The Osterman Weekend - Sam's First Cut
03/15/14 at 11:26pm

One thing that I really don't understand is why when Sam's cut was re-edited, they completely destroyed one of the best sequences of the movie. In Sam's version, the main characters are introduced in a brilliant sequence that cross-cuts between Tanner's three friends and Tanner on his TV show. In the re-edited version, this cross-cutting is removed for a more chronological sequence that is simply boring by comparison (and also removes the introduction of Chris Sarandon's character). It's mind-boggling to me how anyone could have thought the re-edited version better and more likely to appeal to the public.

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Re: The Osterman Weekend - Sam's First Cut
Reply #1 - 03/16/14 at 6:15pm

I agree with you there, Novecento.  But, I hate to point this out, but Peckinpah's version of the beginning killing was not only bad, it was almost unwatchable.  On a less important point, the last scene of the film re-edited seems to improve the Peckinpah original cut -- it even seems more 'Peckinpavian'!

His health at the time was degenerating, and it seems his mind was rather cloudy as well as befuddled.  And this comes from one who HATES to see Peckinpah's original versions tampered with.

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #2 - 03/20/14 at 9:27pm

Robert Blenheim wrote on 03/16/14 at 6:15pm:
I agree with you there, Novecento.

I just can't believe no one makes a bigger deal about it. This sequence totally gives Peckinpah carte blanche to claim the studio messed up his film.

But, I hate to point this out, but Peckinpah's version of the beginning killing was not only bad, it was almost unwatchable. 

I not particularly fond of either, but I'd still take the Peckinpah one over the theatrical one. It is more sexual but less gruesome (not sure why this would make it less palatable to audiences Huh), and while the distortion doesn't look great, at least it adds a certain level of intrigue.

On a less important point, the last scene of the film re-edited seems to improve the Peckinpah original cut...

I actually would disagree here also. The theatrical version removes that clever cut where we see Fasset raising his gun on the screen and we expect to cut to Tanner being at the door about to shoot him, but instead we cut to reality with Tanner opening the door to find his wife and kid.

...-- it even seems more 'Peckinpavian'!

How so?

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #3 - 03/21/14 at 7:29pm

I have to watch it again, Novecento, but the timing is better, as is the irony.  Peckinpah was sick and not at his best when he worked on this.

When I watch it again, I'll be able to detail why I felt that way better.  I actually spent an entire day years ago studying both versions of the film alternately (when the double DVD set came out) and even took notes.  I haven't seen the film again since then.  (Not surprisingly, it's one of my least favorite Peckinpah films -- even, probably, my very least.)

IP Logged

Gashade

Paris, France
Reply #4 - 03/22/14 at 1:17am

Actually, you may end up pushing me to watch it again too...

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #5 - 03/22/14 at 11:49am

One more comment on the beginning scene:  All the distortion Peckinpah used would have undoubtedly sent audiences out of the auditorium to ask for their money back.   I believe it's Peckinpah showing such contempt for the audiences and saying, "F--- you!"   I think he was out of it completely editing that scene that way. I believe, It would have been the most embarrassing scene in the Peckinpah canon to his fans had it been shown that way.

Nevertheless, it would be interesting for both of us to check out both versions again, particularly the ending.  Besides, there's always things we can find in even the lesser Peckinpah films that show genius.

(By the way, how do you put boxes around what you're commenting on?  I'm not the computer person to know this!)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4