Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: What is your favorite version of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid?

1973 Theatrical release    
  0 (0.0%)
1988 Turner Preview version    
  6 (85.7%)
2005 Paul Seydor version    
  1 (14.3%)

Total votes: 7
« Created by: Nate B. on: 03/21/14 at 5:19pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid version Poll (Read 9772 times)
Nate B.
YaBB Administrator

If there had to be one,
it would be Sam Peckinpah

USA
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid version Poll
03/21/14 at 5:19pm

It was suggested that I start a Pat Garrett poll and actually, I can't believe I didn't think to already...

If there had to be one, it would be Sam Peckinpah. Join the discussion at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
For my random junk: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register or for my twitter: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Re: Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid version Poll
Reply #1 - 03/21/14 at 7:22pm

Of course the Turner preview version is missing 3 scenes that MUST be in it: (1) The scene between Garrett and his wife, (2) The Ruthie Lee sequence, and (3) The short scene when Billy brings Maria a blanket and starts playing with the kids.

These need to be put back in the film.  Then we have the closest to the way Peckinpah left the film.

IP Logged

Gashade

Paris, France
Reply #2 - 03/22/14 at 1:13am

This is hard actually, because if I can pick the one I prefer from the three, honestly, none of them is satisfactory. And I must say I was putting so much hope in the special edition, that since it came out, I haven't been able to watch the film in any version because of the disappointment.
« Last Edit: 03/22/14 at 1:14am by Gashade »  

IP Logged

mike bishop
Global Moderator

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Sindelfingen
Reply #3 - 03/22/14 at 5:46am

Thanks to all the recent postings, I watched the 2005 version again last week. My feelings haven't changed since then. Restore the Turner opening / ending and some of the now missing dialogue, fix the unneccessary sound problems and we'd have quite a good version.
But I have to watch the Turne version while my feelings are still warm enough, I didn't see it since 1995 I guess. Maybe I'll see it differently now..

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #4 - 03/22/14 at 3:16pm

I can't believe anyone would vote for the 1973 theatrical release, but it's good to have it in there for completeness. I haven't seen it and don't really care to, but am quite sure I wouldn't be voting for it  Grin

With custom fan-edits being excluded, this is a no-brainer for me. The 1988 Turner Preview Version gets my vote hands down.

IP Logged

Stanton

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #5 - 03/23/14 at 7:08am

mike bishop wrote on 03/22/14 at 5:46am:
Thanks to all the recent postings, I watched the 2005 version again last week. My feelings haven't changed since then. Restore the Turner opening / ending and some of the now missing dialogue, fix the unneccessary sound problems and we'd have quite a good version.

Yes, that's what I would like to see too. That would be the best version.

Actually, I think that, despite all the missing stuff, I prefer the theatrical cut to the Turner version. By stringing together all the scenes which end in a violent outburst the theatrical version developed its own quality. Despite so much missing it works in a strange way. I never had a doubt that PG&BtK is one of Peckinpah's best and most beautiful films. The torso lives and breathes, and was long before I first could watch the long version my favourite Peckinpah behind TWB, and one of the 4 best westerns ever.

The 2005 version retains most of the qualities of the 1973 version, and adds all of the complexities of the Turner version.
And thankfully skips the bunkhouse scene, contains the for me important Ruthie Lee scene, has the raft scene at the right place (where it works better), has the correct dialogue for the dying Paco and has the vocals of Knockin' on Heaven's Door.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5