Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: What is your favorite version of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid?

1973 Theatrical release    
  0 (0.0%)
1988 Turner Preview version    
  6 (85.7%)
2005 Paul Seydor version    
  1 (14.3%)

Total votes: 7
« Created by: Nate B. on: 03/21/14 at 5:19pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid version Poll (Read 9090 times)
Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Re: Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid version Poll
Reply #6 - 03/28/14 at 1:21pm

Quote:
Actually, I think that, despite all the missing stuff, I prefer the theatrical cut to the Turner version. By stringing together all the scenes which end in a violent outburst the theatrical version developed its own quality.

Of course I don't agree with you on that.  And by 'its own quality', yes, I agree with that.  But it's a quality that is streamlined and artificially 'polished' that robs the film of its existential rambling quality.  And it also is merely a guess as to what Peckinpah would have done.  Too much meddling, too much 'rounding off the corners'.  As the following film showed ("Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia") this roughness was characteristic of Peckinpah at this stage.

Quote:
...thankfully skips the bunkhouse scene, contains the for me important Ruthie Lee scene, has the raft scene at the right place (where it works better), has the correct dialogue for the dying Paco and has the vocals of Knockin' on Heaven's Door.

If you include fixing the editing blunder of the wrong shot when Ollinger cocks his gun, I believe all of these things would improve the film, and agree with you here!   (Although, again, I need to repeat that the song was something we know Peckinpah didn't want in the scene -- even if you -- and I -- like the song..)

IP Logged

Richard W

a straight arrow

Arizona, mostly.
Reply #7 - 03/31/14 at 3:01am

Robert Blenheim wrote on 03/21/14 at 7:22pm:
Of course the Turner preview version is missing 3 scenes that MUST be in it: (1) The scene between Garrett and his wife, (2) The Ruthie Lee sequence, and (3) The short scene when Billy brings Maria a blanket and starts playing with the kids.

These need to be put back in the film.  Then we have the closest to the way Peckinpah left the film.

The short scene in which Billy brings Maria a blanket and starts playing with the kids -- where precisely was it placed in the broadcast version?
« Last Edit: 03/31/14 at 5:25pm by Richard W »  

"I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
Raymond Chandler, 1939.

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #8 - 03/31/14 at 11:34pm

Quote:
The short scene in which Billy brings Maria a blanket and starts playing with the kids -- where precisely was it placed in the broadcast version?

Just before the scene of the chickens jumping about.  (Peckinpah draws a parallel with the kids movements at the end of the scene and the 'dancing' chickens.)

IP Logged

Richard W

a straight arrow

Arizona, mostly.
Reply #9 - 04/01/14 at 1:12am

But that would make it the first scene in the film.

"I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
Raymond Chandler, 1939.

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #10 - 04/01/14 at 6:22am

Robert Blenheim wrote on 03/31/14 at 11:34pm:
Quote:

Just before the scene of the chickens jumping about.  (Peckinpah draws a parallel with the kids movements at the end of the scene and the 'dancing' chickens.)

Wow - I had not realized that this was a carefully edited/transitioned  scene that visually ties into that of the chickens Shocked

Robert - any chance you could upload the short clip to YouTube?

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #11 - 04/01/14 at 8:01am

Quote:
But that would make it the first scene in the film.

No, no!  After the scene with the wife, and Garrett rides into town about 40 minutes into the film (estimate).  He pushes around a scummy guy who says something like "I don't pay no nevermind."   That scene begins with chickens jumping around which was a transition just after the scene with Billy romping with the kids.  I'll try to look it up later to be more specific, but I'm just going to an eye surgeon this morning.
« Last Edit: 04/01/14 at 8:02am by Robert Blenheim »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5