Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Your Favorite Directors, after Sam Peckinpah (Read 10861 times)
Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Your Favorite Directors, after Sam Peckinpah
07/18/14 at 8:29am

I'd like to know your favorite film directors, after Sam Peckinpah, of course!

Here are mine (at least, today!):
Alfred Hitchcock
Michelangelo Antonioni
Wong Kar-Wai
Michael Haneke
Buster Keaton
Preston Sturges
Carl Dreyer
Stanley Kubrick
David Lean
Luchino Visconti
Joseph Losey
Josef von Sternberg
Martin Scorsese
Jean-Pierre Melville
Paul Thomas Anderson
Jacques Tourneur
This list could change tomorrow!
« Last Edit: 07/18/14 at 8:30am by Robert Blenheim »  

IP Logged

mike bishop
Global Moderator

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Sindelfingen
Re: Your Favorite Directors, after Sam Peckinpah
Reply #1 - 07/18/14 at 3:39pm

Great list.
I have yet to discover Wong-Kar Wai and Haneke, who both up to this moment never touched me. Maybe I'm yet too young: I used to get bored by Antonioni, now I adore LA NOTTE & BLOW UP Smiley

Next to Sam:
Leone
Ford
Kubrick
Wilder
Hawks
Godard
Lean
Polanski
Fellini
Antonioni
Welles
Hitchcock

+ 20 more Smiley
« Last Edit: 03/26/15 at 9:34am by mike bishop »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

JEFF1950

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #2 - 07/18/14 at 6:48pm

, , The thing is, there are some directors who have made lots of films but out of those maybe 2 or 3 are any good, sometimes itís a case of a one hit wonder and some directors have made many good ones.. So I'll put the film next to the director.

Sam.
Wyler. The Best Years of our Lives, Ben-Hur
Wilder. Some Like it Hot, The Apartment.
Cronemberg. The Fly, A History of Violence
Carpenter. The Thing
Burton. Ed Wood
Laughton. Night is the Hunter.
Pal., War of the Worlds, The Time Machine, 
Chaffey. Jason and the Argonauts.
Leroy. Random Harvest.
Enfield. Zulu
Reed. The Way Ahead. Oliver.
Cavalcanti. Went the day Well, Dead of Night.
Scott. The Duelists, Alien.
Lean, Hobsonís Choice, Oliver Twist.

And many moreÖ 

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #3 - 07/18/14 at 8:55pm

Sergio Leone and Giuseppe Tornatore

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #4 - 07/19/14 at 9:53pm

mike bishop wrote on 07/18/14 at 3:39pm:
Great list.
I have yet to discover Wong-Kar Wai and Haneke, who's at the moment never touched me. Maybe I'm too young still: I used get bored by Antonioni, now I adore LA NOTTE & BLOWUP Smiley

I hope some don't take offense at this, but I found I had to be 'of a mature age' to appreciate Antonioni.  I adore him as well.  About two years ago I did a lecture on him in a local art theater before the showing of "Red Desert," analyzing the 'development' of the Vitti character(s) and the importance of the tetralogy.  My favorite Antonioni film is now "L'Eclisse" (check out the new Blu-ray on Criterion), but I find "L'Avventura," "La Notte," "Red Desert" on a veritable equal level, followed closely by "Il Grido" and "The Passenger".   These six I find are his best.  Although I do like "Blow Up" I think (somewhat ironically) it has been overrated critically (but not historically).  Those six I find nothing in cinema to equal them.

As far as Haneke, "The White Ribbon" and "Amour" are as close to perfect works of art as possible, at least since Bergman's "Cries and Whispers", and Haneke's "Hidden" ("Cache") is only a hair's width below them.  Those three are masterpieces, and I love many of his early films that led up to them, even his original German "Funny Games (I find his American remake redundant and less effective) which we can understand now as a lot more than sensationalistic and gruesome horror by looking back from the standpoint of his masterpieces.  Haneke always was concerned with viewer-film experience, and tearing into the media (as well as our relationship with the media) a primary subject.   Recommended also are "The Piano Teacher," "Benny's Video" and "Seventh Continent" (his first feature) for those interested in studying Haneke further.

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #5 - 07/19/14 at 10:00pm

mike bishop wrote on 07/18/14 at 3:39pm:
Great list.
I have yet to discover Wong-Kar Wai ...)

OMG, my heart breaks every time I experience Wong's "In the Mood for Love", one of the most moving and beautifully poetic works of art of my life.  To me, this film is a great love in itself, one impossible to communicate all of its treasures.  I just remember Maggie Cheung's cheongsam drifting down the stairway in slow motion past Tony Leung, or the two of them trying to shelter themselves in the rain.  What more could anyone want from a film?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5