Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Your Favorite Directors, after Sam Peckinpah (Read 10865 times)
Stanton

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Re: Your Favorite Directors, after Sam Peckinpah
Reply #6 - 07/20/14 at 5:33am

Yes, Wong Kar Wai is fantastic, and In the Mood for Love deserves all the praise it got.

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #7 - 07/20/14 at 7:14pm

Stanton wrote on 07/20/14 at 5:33am:
Yes, Wong Kar Wai is fantastic, and In the Mood for Love deserves all the praise it got.

Wong has little in common with Peckinpah on the surface -- but he uses time 'manipulation' (various speeds of slow motion) and editing in a unique way that forms his own personal 'visual poetry' with contrapuntal rhythms.  I know of no other filmmaker on a level with Wong and Peckinpah in this respect.

IP Logged

Stanton

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #8 - 07/21/14 at 7:30am

Some whose films and whose style I somehow love:

Sergio Leone
Federico Fellini
David Lynch
Dominik Graf
Julio Medem
Park Chon-wook
Max Ophüls
Stanley Kubrick
Emir Kusturica
Orson Welles
Quentin Tarantino
Pedro Almodovar
Eric Rohmer
John Cassavetes

and ... ohhh, so many others ...
« Last Edit: 07/21/14 at 2:06pm by Stanton »  

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #9 - 07/21/14 at 7:56pm

All of Lynch's work don't do it for me -- but "Mulholland Dr." is one of my ten favorite all-time films, and his "Straight Story" is also a veritable masterpiece.   And I love Ophuls (especially "The Earrings of Madame De...") but I have to confess he lost me with his last film, "Lola Montez," which strikes me as definitive tedium with a lead actress who seems about as interesting as a potted plant.

And I'm glad Park Chan-wook has given us more than "Oldboy": I love "Thirst" and "I'm a Cyborg but that's OK", and find them superior to his 'Vengeance' films.

Actually, I find two South Korean filmmakers superior: Among my favorites are Lee Chang-dong (whose masterpiece "Poetry" I gave an introductory lecture about a while ago at the local art theater) and Kim Ki-duk (a master of disturbing and beautiful works of art like "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring" and "3-Iron").

I really enjoyed your list, Stanton, and, yes, so many others...!
« Last Edit: 07/21/14 at 7:56pm by Robert Blenheim »  

IP Logged

Stanton

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #10 - 07/22/14 at 4:11am

The lead actress of Lola Montez was not Ophüls' choice. One of the sour compromises filmmakers have often (sometimes?) to do.
Danielle Darrieux would have been the logical choice.

Kim Ki-duk is also great, especially 3-Iron.

Park's I'm a Cyborg but that's OK was somehow often boring, but I watched it only once, so who knows ...
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance on the other hand is another total masterpiece.
I haven't watched his Hollywood debut Stoker yet.

Lee Chang-dong is one I have to check.

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #11 - 07/22/14 at 7:58pm

Stanton wrote on 07/22/14 at 4:11am:
Park's I'm a Cyborg but that's OK was somehow often boring, but I watched it only once, so who knows ...
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance on the other hand is another total masterpiece.
I haven't watched his Hollywood debut Stoker yet.

Actually, Stanton, I did find "I'm a Cyborg" somewhat boring in its first half, but by the end I thought it was a unique film, a brilliant example of 'fantastic realism'.   But it was difficult on first viewing.

I admit: I haven't seen "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance."   I will try to see it when I get the chance.

"Stoker," unfortunately, was a mess.  I think it's a failure on the level of Wong Kar-wai's "Blueberry Nights."   Glad Wong bounced back with a brilliant vengeance with his masterpiece, "Grandmaster" (which deserves to be seen in its 130-min. Chinese cut).   I hope Park does the same following the disappointing (and pretentious) "Stoker".

Lee Chang-dong has, after only five films, become a master.  His last three films (all displaying a directing of actresses on a par with Bergman) are humanist works of genius: "Oasis," "Secret Sunshine," and "Poetry."   In a leap, he has gone to the top of the great filmmakers to come out of South Korea.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5