Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid: The Film vs. The Historical Events (Read 19773 times)
Novecento

Re: Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid: The Film vs. The Historical Events
Reply #6 - 11/17/14 at 7:54pm

Thanks - yes it's in Seydor's 2012 article in defense of his cut. Clearly I must have read it myself at some point as I do own the book.

While I can buy the argument that the failure to execute Peckinpah's note to correct the date means the epilogue was not in a finalized form (it was a "preview cut" after all), I don't think any more conclusions can be drawn from this such as using it as partial justification to remove the epilogue entirely.

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #7 - 12/17/14 at 9:44pm

david lambert wrote on 11/12/14 at 12:27pm:
Would Garrett have actually gone and warned the Kid that he was coming for him if he didn't leave the territory? Perhaps not (the origin for that scene comes from the novel The Authentic Death of Hendry Jones, which Peckinpah adapted into a screenplay that, after many changes, became One-Eyed Jacks) but the historians who say that Garrett and the Kid weren't friends seem to be taking Garrett's word for it (the fact that Garrett kept going out of his way to mention that he wasn't friends with the Kid suggests to me that those accusations were flying around at the time).

A laudatory review in the most recent issue of Cinema Retro prompted me to finally watch One Eyed Jacks. I'd love to be able to watch a restored version of this just to appreciate Lang's cinematography which I'm sure wasn't done justice in the poor quality version I watched. You can certainly tell that the editing was done at a later date as it clearly wasn't shot with its current editing in mind.

It was decent, but the way Brando describes his intended version sounds so much better: "I don't feel it's what I set out to do. In my film, everybody lied, even the girl. The only one who told the truth was the Karl Malden character. Paramount made him out to be the heavy, a liar... Now the characters in the film are black and white, not gray and human as I planned them."

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #8 - 01/02/15 at 6:46pm

david lambert wrote on 11/12/14 at 12:27pm:
This is all by memory...

Great historical info!   Thanks so much!!

But... eh, this is all from memory?   Really?   I didn't think you were that old!

IP Logged

stepeanut
YaBB Newbies

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #9 - 01/12/15 at 5:35am

Novecento wrote on 12/17/14 at 9:44pm:
A laudatory review in the most recent issue of Cinema Retro prompted me to finally watch One Eyed Jacks. I'd love to be able to watch a restored version of this just to appreciate Lang's cinematography which I'm sure wasn't done justice in the poor quality version I watched. You can certainly tell that the editing was done at a later date as it clearly wasn't shot with its current editing in mind.

It was decent, but the way Brando describes his intended version sounds so much better: "I don't feel it's what I set out to do. In my film, everybody lied, even the girl. The only one who told the truth was the Karl Malden character. Paramount made him out to be the heavy, a liar... Now the characters in the film are black and white, not gray and human as I planned them."

I have this French DVD:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's not perfect, but the aspect ratio is correct, it's anamorphic, the picture is decent, and the colour is not completely washed-out, as it is on many of the public domain DVDs.  The main downside is the forced French subtitles; if you can ignore them, the consensus* is that this is the best release available at this time.

*There is one particularly vocal fan of this film, who posts on various film forums, that prefers another, non-anamorphic DVD release.  But, as I say, the consensus prefers this one.

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #10 - 01/12/15 at 8:47pm

Thanks for the info! The version I watched was widescreen but not anamorphic.

I have a few Wild Side releases which have been good quality. That horrible DVD cover doesn't help however! This sounds like something Twilight Time or Criterion should get their hands on.

IP Logged

Stanton

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #11 - 01/13/15 at 4:53am

This anamorphic German DVD is not bad:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It was announced as the best version worldwide.

The same label released it also as Blu. But taken from a French master:

The Amazon comments suggest a bad picture quality. But at a German film data base one thinks this is the best version world wide. But only good DVD quality.

I have the above DVD. It looked ok on my old TV.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5