Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
CONVOY on blu-ray / worldwide (Read 6873 times)
mike bishop
Global Moderator

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Sindelfingen
Re: CONVOY on blu-ray / worldwide
Reply #6 - 04/27/15 at 4:38am

It is difficult to compare those two releases. Yesterday I checked them out again and now I think the KINO LORBER master looks probably better! Color-wise anyway. More natural. I guess Studiocanal had to restore the colors of the negative heavily and it shows. Hard contrasts here and there too.
It will take a while until I will screen the complete film again, after I worked so long on it for the supplements I have no desire to watch it again yet. But I think I will go with the MGM / FOX master then!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

chet1985
YaBB Newbies

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #7 - 05/03/15 at 12:41am

Wish Garner could have shared more memories of the screening of Sam's cut of the movie in the commentary. Also I was surprised that Paul seemed to enjoy the segments of the film so much, all most had to stifle his enthusiasm.

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #8 - 05/06/15 at 10:12pm

chet1985 wrote on 05/03/15 at 12:41am:
Wish Garner could have shared more memories of the screening of Sam's cut of the movie in the commentary.

Did he say anything interesting about it?

IP Logged

chet1985
YaBB Newbies

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #9 - 05/07/15 at 3:40am

Sam's version of the film was a final fine directors cut, not an assembly or anything of that nature and probably only about 30 to 45 minutes longer than the released version. It was a much more of a surreal film, the whole end of the film was much more of a dream like sequence with Pig Pen crashing into the Ice Cream truck being inter-cut with shots of Pig Pen and other characters out side pointing and laughing at Pig Pen, whilst inter-cut with bridge sequence. The last shot of the film, was a slow zoom into the window of church bus revealing Sam in his directors chair with crew. He claims those in attendance at the screening were impressed with the film. Graeme Clifford who did finish the editing of the film, did work with Sam as well.

IP Logged

Stanton

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #10 - 05/07/15 at 3:40pm

Only 30 - 45 min?

That's a lot ...

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #11 - 05/07/15 at 9:02pm

chet1985 wrote on 05/07/15 at 3:40am:
Sam's version of the film was a final fine directors cut, not an assembly or anything of that nature and probably only about 30 to 45 minutes longer than the released version. It was a much more of a surreal film, the whole end of the film was much more of a dream like sequence with Pig Pen crashing into the Ice Cream truck being inter-cut with shots of Pig Pen and other characters out side pointing and laughing at Pig Pen, whilst inter-cut with bridge sequence. The last shot of the film, was a slow zoom into the window of church bus revealing Sam in his directors chair with crew. He claims those in attendance at the screening were impressed with the film. Graeme Clifford who did finish the editing of the film, did work with Sam as well.

That would have been great to see. I do vaguely remember reading/hearing somewhere about it being somewhat surreal with shots of Ali MacGraw running down the road. I also remember hearing that Peckinpah wasn't happy with how it ended up which is why he didn't really fight for his cut when the studio stepped in. Having said that it sounds like it was actually pretty good after all... I think I need to re-watch Mike's documentary on the disc.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5