Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
CONVOY on blu-ray / worldwide (Read 6939 times)
chet1985
YaBB Newbies

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Re: CONVOY on blu-ray / worldwide
Reply #12 - 05/08/15 at 2:01am

Well much shorter than the rumors of a three hour plus run time, I can't really guess as to the quality of Sam's version, also Jerry Fielding was present at the screening as he was to do the score for the film before Sam was fired.

I was quite surprised that they didn't seem aware of the revival 'Convoy' has experienced in the last few years, I've caught several theatrical screenings in the past few years in the US. The movie as is has a strong cult following of serious cinephiles.

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #13 - 09/15/15 at 11:07pm

Has anyone ever seen Sergio Corbucci's "Il bestione" (The Beast) from 1974?

Any similarities with Peckinpah's "Convoy" as an allegory for the Old West?

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #14 - 03/06/16 at 1:15pm

Novecento wrote on 05/07/15 at 9:02pm:
chet1985 wrote on 05/07/15 at 3:40am:
Sam's version of the film was a final fine directors cut, not an assembly or anything of that nature and probably only about 30 to 45 minutes longer than the released version. It was a much more of a surreal film, the whole end of the film was much more of a dream like sequence with Pig Pen crashing into the Ice Cream truck being inter-cut with shots of Pig Pen and other characters out side pointing and laughing at Pig Pen, whilst inter-cut with bridge sequence. The last shot of the film, was a slow zoom into the window of church bus revealing Sam in his directors chair with crew. He claims those in attendance at the screening were impressed with the film. Graeme Clifford who did finish the editing of the film, did work with Sam as well.

That would have been great to see. I do vaguely remember reading/hearing somewhere about it being somewhat surreal with shots of Ali MacGraw running down the road. I also remember hearing that Peckinpah wasn't happy with how it ended up which is why he didn't really fight for his cut when the studio stepped in. Having said that it sounds like it was actually pretty good after all... I think I need to re-watch Mike's documentary on the disc.

Has anyone read this book:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I came across it in a bookstore the other day. There is a chapter on Peckinpah and "Convoy". I briefly scanned it while I was there, but did not read the details. Maybe I will pick up a copy one day.

Anyway, if a producer's sole aim is to turn a profit, then it seems Michael Deeley handled the situation and all of Peckinpah's antics well; the release being was a big hit and everyone made lots of money. However, if the producer's role should be to protect artistic integrity then I suppose a different argument could be made. He seems to think Peckinpah wasn't being serious when he had that shot of Ali McGraw running upside-down.

IP Logged

mike bishop
Global Moderator

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Sindelfingen
Reply #15 - 03/06/16 at 5:56pm

Yeah, I have that book. Most of the content regarding CONVOY he told in my CONVOY documentary.
I have an Interview with Sam where he states that the upside-down shot was due to an assistant of his DP who wasn't capable of mounting the camera the right way on a car. Sounds reasonable to me, I can't image why Sam would have planned to film & include such a shot. (Deeley states he was angry when he saw it while watching dailies - not a cut of the film!)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #16 - 03/07/16 at 9:01am

Interesting that he is referring to the dailies and not a cut of the film. I was under the impression the upside down shot was in a rough cut.

Anyway, why couldn't they just turn it the other way up?

IP Logged

mike bishop
Global Moderator

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Sindelfingen
Reply #17 - 03/07/16 at 10:11am

Of course one could have done that later on, accepting the loss of a generation, but watching dailies means seeing the footage for the very first time: The neg goes from the camera mag to the lab and then to the projection room.
So it appears that Sam was pissed seeing the mess Stradling (who he had no respect for anyway) and his assistants had produced, while Deeley thought Sam had shot such unusable stuff on purpose. I suppose they didn't communicate much by that time anyway. My thoughts anyway.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5