Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Paul Seydor's new Pat Garrett book (Read 3889 times)
Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Re: Paul Seydor's new Pat Garrett book
Reply #12 - 04/08/15 at 4:52pm

Here is the link to my review of Paul Seydor's new book that I posted today on Amazon.com.

Everyone here should definitely get a copy.  It's a must-read!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: 04/09/15 at 5:42pm by Robert Blenheim »  

IP Logged

Paul Seydor
YaBB Newbies

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #13 - 04/27/15 at 5:14pm

Thanks kindly, Robert, for your generous review of my book on Amazon.com. As regards some of the questions here: Tony De Zaraga, if you check his credits, went on to have a career in television with only a relative few feature credits. On Killer Elite he probably helped out some, but Garth Craven and Ferris Webster were the original editors, and Webster one day just quit, evidently daunted by the sheer amount of coverage, saying to Garth, "I'm too old for this kind of thing," and left the project. The next time I see Garth, which will be soon, I'll ask him about Zaraga, but I suspect what I've said here is correct: he was employed by Sam as a helping hand but never as a principal editor. Sam confined Monte Hellman almost exclusively to the martial arts footage, of which fairly little remained in the completed film. (This I got directly from Monte.) As I say, the three additional editors were there as helping hands, not as functioning editors in any serious creative sense, and because Spottiwoode and Craven were--theoretically, anyhow--not permitted to touch film in the US. This was eventually ignored, but it does give an idea of how chaotic the post was on this film.
By the way, if any reader wants the full information, it is absolutely vital in this book that he or she READ THE ENDNOTES. The story was too multifaceted for me to tell it in any other way than to add a lot of material in the endnotes.

IP Logged

Paul Seydor
YaBB Newbies

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #14 - 04/27/15 at 6:01pm

The reason for the expense of the hardcover is that it is a special version made up only for libraries. There is no dust jacket. The primary launch is in trade (i.e., large) paperback and content is identical.

IP Logged

mike bishop
Global Moderator

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Sindelfingen
Reply #15 - 04/28/15 at 4:53am

I just finished it the other night. How could you guys read it that fast ?
A fantastic piece of work, and including all the endnotes it took me quite a while to digest it all. GREAT BOOK !!! Next to Max Evans' latest my favorite book on Sam these last years...

Did you you guys see Sophie Huber's fine film on Harry Dean Stanton? (PARTLY FICTION). In it Kris visits him and they tell a funny story of Bob Dylan and Dean spoiling an important take during PAT GARRETT...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3