Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Paul Seydor's new Pat Garrett book (Read 4080 times)
Novecento

Re: Paul Seydor's new Pat Garrett book
Reply #6 - 03/15/15 at 11:48am

You need to keep reading...  Smiley

Stanton wrote on 03/15/15 at 7:34am:
The credits list 6 editors for PG&BtK. But even in this big book, and with a lot of pages spent to the editing, 3 of them are never mentioned.

What was their contribution?

He mentions later on that Spottiswoode, Wolfe and Craven were the only ones of the 6 who actually worked on it.

How comes that Peckinpah was pissed of about Wolfe and Spottiswoode, but worked with Tony de Zaraga, one of the other 3, again on The Killer Elite?

Again later on he mentions that Peckinpah was angry with Wolfe for editing the theatrical cut, and that Spottiswoode clashed with Peckinpah for his treatment of Wolfe in this regard.

IP Logged

Stanton

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #7 - 03/15/15 at 3:23pm

Novecento wrote on 03/15/15 at 11:48am:
How comes that Peckinpah was pissed of about Wolfe and Spottiswoode, but worked with Tony de Zaraga, one of the other 3, again on The Killer Elite?

Again later on he mentions that Peckinpah was angry with Wolfe for editing the theatrical cut, and that Spottiswoode clashed with Peckinpah for his treatment of Wolfe in this regard.

I know.

But it still seems strange that 3 editors are credited if they had not much or none input on the film.
And this De Zaraga guy isn't mentioned in any Peckinpah book. At least I don't remember reading anything about him

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #8 - 03/17/15 at 10:17pm

Stanton wrote on 03/15/15 at 3:23pm:
But it still seems strange that 3 editors are credited if they had not much or none input on the film.

You need to read footnote 16 at the bottom of p.348 where Seydor discusses this.

Stanton wrote on 03/15/15 at 3:23pm:
And this De Zaraga guy isn't mentioned in any Peckinpah book. At least I don't remember reading anything about him

Seydor mentions that the other 3 (of which De Zarraga is one) were "additional hands" rather than functioning in any creative sense. Perhaps De Zarraga served a similar role on The Killer Elite which also had multiple editors (one of whom was Monte Hellman who presumably played a major role).

IP Logged

Stanton

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #9 - 03/18/15 at 9:24am

I read that before, and I assumed that it was related to the fact that Spottiswoode is a Brit.
And I know that film credits are not always telling the facts.

Still it is strange that there are 3 editors named of whom we do not know much.

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #10 - 04/07/15 at 9:07pm

Robert Blenheim wrote on 04/07/15 at 6:44pm:
Here is the link to my review of Paul Seydor's new book that I posted today on Amazon.com.

Everyone here should definitely get a copy.  It's a must-read!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I enjoyed it too. It had far more historical context behind the screenplay than I was expecting, but it was all very welcome! Definitely money well spent.

While I am still not a huge fan of the 2005 Special Edition, it was great to learn all the context behind it and the reasoning behind Seydor's choices as an embellishment of his previous short article. In this regard it was also interesting to note how Seydor's hand were tied to a degree.

IP Logged

Robert Blenheim

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reply #11 - 04/08/15 at 4:49pm

Quote:
While I am still not a huge fan of the 2005 Special Edition, it was great to learn all the context behind it and the reasoning behind Seydor's choices as an embellishment of his previous short article. In this regard it was also interesting to note how Seydor's hand were tied to a degree.

Agree completely, Novecento.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3