Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Sam Peckinpah in Sergio Leone's My Name is Nobody... (Read 8217 times)
Novecento

Re: Sam Peckinpah in Sergio Leone's My Name is Nobody...
Reply #6 - 03/28/15 at 5:32pm

Hey Stanton, what'd you say we take our debate over who directed what over from the Sergio Leone forum to here  Wink

IP Logged

Stanton

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #7 - 03/29/15 at 4:56am

He, he, ...why not?

But the thread's title got it already right ...

IP Logged

Evy Angel Jones

You have no eyes

Marseille, France
Reply #8 - 03/29/15 at 5:44am

I read Sergio Leone directed himself the urinal scene. For me it's the worst scene in this film. I prefer remembering Henry Fonda directed by the same Sergio Leone in "One Upon a Time in The West"...

My site (in french) Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Stanton

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #9 - 03/29/15 at 6:27am

Evy Angel Jones wrote on 03/29/15 at 5:44am:
I read Sergio Leone directed himself the urinal scene. For me it's the worst scene in this film. I prefer remembering Henry Fonda directed by the same Sergio Leone in "One Upon a Time in The West"...

He directed more than that scene, but there are ongoing discussions what he directed himself and what not.
Leone himself claimed in some interviews the opening scene, Fonda's battle with the wild bunch and the New Orleans duel for himself. For the last 2 photo evidence exists which show him on the set and doing stuff which looks like directing.
But apart from what he really directed in person he supervised the film to an extent that I think it is easily his 6th western. Most interviews with actors and crew members confirm this.

The Urinal scene is well enough directed, and works well enough as a parody on Leone's famous duel scenes. But belongs still to the problematic scenes which press the film too much towards a slapstick comedy

IP Logged

Stanton

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #10 - 03/29/15 at 6:31am

Btw many people think that Leone was a big influence on TWB and on American westerns of the 70s in general. Which I don't see.

It is funny in that light that in most books about Peckinpah Leone is not even mentioned. Especially as Leone asked him to direct Giu la testa, which is also not mentioned in any Peckinpah book. Not in the ones I have read.

IP Logged

mike bishop
Global Moderator

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Sindelfingen
Reply #11 - 03/29/15 at 8:37am

I have an interview with Sam talking briefly about Sergio. They knew each other and were both the BIG NAMES when it came to western movies in the mid / late 60s and early 70s.
But they were both 'lions' and two directors, at least of their calibre, should not work together. Bodganovich's GIU LA TESTA would would ended up as a sure misfire. I'm glad Sergio did it himself in the end since I love the film.
NOBODY is one of my favorites. In fact it was the first film I ever saw in a cinema, that hot summer of 1974. I still recall the screening, one of the very few I can still recall from those years. Terence Hill is still one of my favorites. Next to Belmondo he was my ultimate hero. Bright, funny, athletic, good & unique looking , witty & serious as well.

I think it's still great, fits very well with LIBERTY VALANCE, RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY and various other 'old west / new west' films.
Of course the slapstick is its weak spot. Barboni used fast motion much more inspired than Leone did, that was not his cup of tea. I don't like toilet scenes but in this one it never bothered me. I guess because it was done so differently. Only the Italians could do stuff like that Smiley.
Fonda works so well in the film because he plays it straight. the photography, staging is soo strong. There's R.G. (he told me Leone & Hill were so nice to him, because he represented 'real Hollywood western' to them.), wonderful locations... Morricone's score is so fantastic! Slightly recutted it would be one of the best westerns ever and to me it still is one of the best post-1969 westerns.

I tried to get Hill into considerering a feature-length film about him. But he is so shy, modest & private, you wouldn't believe it. Shame, he was the biggest European star for over a decade! He is also a Peckinpah fan by the way. In Mr.BILLION he even has the Italian poster for WILD BUNCH on his bed room wall!

Sam, Sergio, Monte, J.Agutter & Fabio Testi in Rome:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: 03/29/15 at 1:14pm by mike bishop »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3