Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Rudy Wurlitzer (Read 1507 times)
Gashade

Paris, France
Rudy Wurlitzer
04/08/15 at 10:17pm

We've talked about him fleatingly in various other threads, but he probably should have one dedicated to him only.
I love Two-Lane Blacktop, and as Seydor has shown in his new book, his input for Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid is quite essential. (I'd love to read his first version of his script...)
I even liked his screen presence in both films.
And I loved Jarmush's Dead Man which, as much as I like Jarmush's work in general, felt slightly different, and appealed to me even more than the rest of his films. It has been said that it was influenced by a scrpit by Wurlitzer that Jarmush was planning to shoot, which didn't materialise in the end. All three films have a similar structure and appear as road movies with no apparent aim to the trip the protagonists are on.

Has anyone read his novel Slow Fade? I've read it's supposedly inspired by his experience with Sam...

His work in films is pretty impressive, as he worked with Hal Ashby (Coming Home), Sidney Lumet, Alex Cox (Walker), Volker Schlöndorff, Bertolucci, Antonioni...
He also wrote the libretto for Phil Glass' opera The Penal Colony, based on Kafka.

Here's an interview with him where he mentions Sam:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

And here's another one, where he describes how he stumbled upon the set of Convoy:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

And another one, where he talks about introducing Dylan to Sam:
I seem to remember reading somewhere that during that encounter, Sam was actually shooting at the mirror (but he may have done that at a different moment, I'm not sure anymore).

Apart from Requiem for Billy the Kid, Wurlitzer has appeared in Easy Riders, Ragind Bulls and Wanderlust.
« Last Edit: 04/10/15 at 10:49pm by Gashade »  

IP Logged

Novecento

Re: Rudy Wurlitzer
Reply #1 - 09/01/15 at 2:14pm

Seems like Alex Cox is teaming up with Rudy Wurlitzer again and looking for funding to make "Tombstone Rashomon":

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1