Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Peckinpah - new Blu - ray's 2017 (Read 5615 times)
mike bishop
Global Moderator

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Sindelfingen
Re: Peckinpah - new Blu - ray's 2017
Reply #12 - 05/05/17 at 11:42am

yes yes.... compare with the German I co-produced 6 years ago....  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

stepeanut
YaBB Newbies

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #13 - 05/05/17 at 11:53am

mike bishop wrote on 05/05/17 at 11:42am:
yes yes.... compare with the German I co-produced 6 years ago....  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I have the German DVD.  And the Spanish one.  And the Japanese one.

The Japanese DVD is the best presentation of the film itself, IMO.  Being NTSC, it runs in theatrical time, which is important.  The German and Spanish DVDs have excellent extras, though.

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #14 - 05/06/17 at 9:02am

stepeanut wrote on 05/05/17 at 11:53am:
I have the German DVD.  And the Spanish one.  And the Japanese one.

The Japanese DVD is the best presentation of the film itself, IMO.  Being NTSC, it runs in theatrical time, which is important.  The German and Spanish DVDs have excellent extras, though.

So the Japanese DVD is better quality than the Blu-ray?!

The Japanese customer comment on amazon.co.jp I quoted above says they think the Blu-ray uses an SD PAL source (perhaps the German disc?). Japan is of course an NTSC country, but PAL does have a higher resolution than NTSC.

IP Logged

stepeanut
YaBB Newbies

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #15 - 05/06/17 at 10:41am

Novecento wrote on 05/06/17 at 9:02am:
So the Japanese DVD is better quality than the Blu-ray?!

The Japanese customer comment on amazon.co.jp I quoted above says they think the Blu-ray uses an SD PAL source (perhaps the German disc?). Japan is of course an NTSC country, but PAL does have a higher resolution than NTSC.

Unfortunately, I don't have the equipment necessary to take screen grabs, but the BD does not appear any better than the Japanese DVD, to my eyes.  I'm watching the DVD now, paying particular attention to the sky, and I'd say it looks to have fewer artifacts than the BD.

As to the source of the BD transfer, I'm not sure.  There are no additional logos at the beginning and end of the disc.  It starts with the Pathé American logo.  The feature runs 1:32:42, which seems a tad short/sped-up to me.

The old Japanese DVD runs 1:33:12, when the Lakeshore logo is taken out of the equation.  The PAL equivalent would be 1:29:29 (93.20 mins x 0.96).  The Spanish DVD runs 1:29:30, proving my math is correct.

So, why is the BD 30 seconds short?  I don't know.  I don't have time to do a scene-by-scene comparison, to check if any footage is missing, but I don't believe, from my recent viewing, that there is a problem in this regard.  The only other explanation would be that the BD runs ever so slightly fast.

IP Logged

stepeanut
YaBB Newbies

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #16 - 05/17/17 at 3:26am

2017 is turning out to be a great year for Peckinpah releases.

The Ballad of Cable Hogue is coming to BD, from Warner Archive Collection, on 13 June:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Also being re-released, on DVD only, is the Film Noir Classic Collection: Volume 5, which includes Crime In the Streets.  I already have the original release, but some collectors here may be interested in this reissue:

IP Logged

mike bishop
Global Moderator

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Sindelfingen
Reply #17 - 06/03/17 at 3:47pm

I finished work on JUNIOR BONNER.
Almost 2 hours of supplements Smiley.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6