Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Peckinpah - new Blu - ray's 2017 (Read 6574 times)
mike bishop
Global Moderator

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Sindelfingen
Re: Peckinpah - new Blu - ray's 2017
Reply #18 - 06/20/17 at 4:34am

The quality of the CABLE HOGUE Blu-ray is just great! Looks better than on 35mm. Wonderful.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

mike bishop
Global Moderator

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Sindelfingen
Reply #19 - 08/26/17 at 6:45pm

JUNIOR BONNER release date: October 31 ! It contains a truly wonderful HD Blu-ray master and some 2 hrs of supplements I produced:† Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Blu-ray Extras Include:
PASSION & POETRY Ė RODEO TIME (Documentary with screenwriter Jeb Rosebrook, Katy Haber, Ali MacGraw, Garner Simmons, L.Q. Jones) 56 Min

PASSION & POETRY Ė PECKINPAH ANECDOTES (Short documentary with Ernest Borgnine, James Coburn, Kris Kristofferson, Ali MacGraw, Isela Vega, L.Q. Jones, R.G. Armstrong, Bo Hopkins and David Warner) 26 Min

AUDIO COMMENTARY by Sam Peckinpah Authors Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons and David Weddle, moderated by Film Historian Nick Redman

JUNIOR BONNER TRIVIA (cameoís, in-jokes & more) 5 Min

JUNIOR BONNER REMEMBERED (4th of July rodeo 2016, featurette by Keith Woods & Alyson Titkemeyer) 3 Min

JUNIOR BONNER on the set (Animated Image Gallery) 5 Min

JUNIOR BONNER in Pictures (Animated Image Gallery) 4 Min

JUNIOR BONNER Posters & Lobby Cards (Animated Image Gallery) 5 Min

US Theatrical Trailer

2 US Radio Spots

US TV Spot

Reverse Blu-ray Art
« Last Edit: 08/27/17 at 3:56am by mike bishop »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #20 - 10/13/17 at 10:52pm

IP Logged

Gashade

Paris, France
Reply #21 - 10/18/17 at 8:05am

IP Logged

stepeanut
YaBB Newbies

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #22 - 01/23/18 at 4:14pm

Released at the back end of last year, I received the Japanese BD of The Osterman Weekend today:

Iíve not had time to watch it through all the way, but Iíve sampled a few scenes and compared them with the Region A Anchor Bay BD.

The good:

- We have some grain in the image!† The Anchor Bay was scrubbed unnaturally clean.
- The colours are a lot more natural.† This is immediately apparent in the skin tones, which were pushed heavily toward the red in the AB release.† Also, the curtains on the four-poster bed now appear white instead of purple.
- Better extras, most significantly Peckinpahís original cut of the film, which was on the old AB DVD, but didnít make the transition to BD until now.
- 16-page booklet included.

The bad:

- Some speckles remain in the image, as well as slight instability in the same places as the AB.† Iíd say this is from the same basic transfer, just not manipulated with as heavy a hand.
- The bit rate is significantly lower than the AB, due to the amount of extras on the disc.† I canít give you an exact average, but somewhere around 22-24 Mbps, at a guess.† Personally, I could do without the 4:3 version of the film, which is a pointless inclusion, IMO.

So, still not the definitive version, but a definite upgrade over the Anchor Bay BD.
« Last Edit: 01/23/18 at 4:17pm by stepeanut »  

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #23 - 01/23/18 at 9:03pm

Thanks so much for posting

stepeanut wrote on 01/23/18 at 4:14pm:
- We have some grain in the image!† The Anchor Bay was scrubbed unnaturally clean.
- The colours are a lot more natural.† This is immediately apparent in the skin tones, which were pushed heavily toward the red in the AB release.† Also, the curtains on the four-poster bed now appear white instead of purple.
- Better extras, most significantly Peckinpahís original cut of the film, which was on the old AB DVD, but didnít make the transition to BD until now.
- 16-page booklet included.

So it's at least better than the Anchor Bay DVD then? I never upgraded because apparently their BD seemed to be worse than the DVD! I might have to save up my pennies to get me copy of this one.

stepeanut wrote on 01/23/18 at 4:14pm:
- The bit rate is significantly lower than the AB, due to the amount of extras on the disc.† I canít give you an exact average, but somewhere around 22-24 Mbps, at a guess.† Personally, I could do without the 4:3 version of the film, which is a pointless inclusion, IMO.

But the 4:3 version (aka "Peckinpah's Cut") is so much better than the theatrical release version! I think I posted about my reasons for that on this board a few years back (when there was more life around these parts!)

If I had the time, money and resources, I would try to make a restored version of Peckinpah's cut by using the theatrical release and re-reordering/editing the scenes to match Peckinpah's cut. Although I would also have to add scenes from the 4:3 version, at least it seems to be open-matte such that although the image quality would be poor there wouldn't be abrupt changes in aspect ratio.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6