Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SamPeckinpah.com The Sam Peckinpah Forum
  Welcome to SamPeckinpah.com, a forum for fans of Sam Peckinpah!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Peckinpah - new Blu - ray's 2017 (Read 6321 times)
stepeanut
YaBB Newbies

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Re: Peckinpah - new Blu - ray's 2017
Reply #24 - 01/24/18 at 1:16am

Novecento wrote on 01/23/18 at 9:03pm:
But the 4:3 version (aka "Peckinpah's Cut") is so much better than the theatrical release version! I think I posted about my reasons for that on this board a few years back (when there was more life around these parts!)

You misunderstand.  The 4:3 version I refer to is not Peckinpah’s original cut.

There are three versions of the film presented on this new Japanese BD:

- Theatrical version, in 1.78:1
- TV broadcast version, in 4:3
- Peckinpah’s original cut, also in 4:3

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #25 - 01/24/18 at 10:58am

Ah ok - I hadn't read the specs that closely.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It looks to me like they included the Japanese TV cut because it has complete Japanese audio unlike the theatrical release which is missing 8 minutes. However, what I don't understand is why they wouldn't have just taken that dubbing and applied it to the theatrical version.

IP Logged

stepeanut
YaBB Newbies

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #26 - 01/24/18 at 11:43am

Novecento wrote on 01/24/18 at 10:58am:
However, what I don't understand is why they wouldn't have just taken that dubbing and applied it to the theatrical version.

Exactly.

It’s a minor gripe on my part.  I just think they could have bolstered the bit rate by dropping the TV cut completely and applying the Japanese dub to the theatrical cut.  Three cuts, plus a feature-length documentary, is a lot to squeeze onto one disc.

Unless one of the U.K. boutique labels picks this up — Arrow would be the best bet for a film like this — then the Japanese BD may be the best it gets.

Btw, Stingray do not ship outside of Japan, nor will Amazon JP for this product, so your best chance of buying a copy is via a proxy shopping service, unless you have friends in Japan.  It will be expensive.
« Last Edit: 01/24/18 at 11:45am by stepeanut »  

IP Logged

Novecento

Reply #27 - 01/26/18 at 6:46am

stepeanut wrote on 01/24/18 at 11:43am:
Unless one of the U.K. boutique labels picks this up — Arrow would be the best bet for a film like this — then the Japanese BD may be the best it gets.

Yes "Arrow" would be perfect for this. It's amazing how much "Anchor Bay" messed up their BD and didn't even bother to include the director's cut. Needless to say I never upgraded from their DVD.

stepeanut wrote on 01/24/18 at 11:43am:
Btw, Stingray do not ship outside of Japan, nor will Amazon JP for this product, so your best chance of buying a copy is via a proxy shopping service, unless you have friends in Japan.  It will be expensive.

That's annoying. I do know some people in Japan but it's always a hassle arranging things like that. Japanese e-bay or the like might be a better bet for the time being or just waiting a while until private sellers appear on amazon.co.jp. Since the disc (like all Japanese releases) is already expensive, I think I'll pass for the time being.

IP Logged

stepeanut
YaBB Newbies

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Reply #28 - 02/04/18 at 5:36am

We never properly covered the German Mediabook of The Killer Elite, which was released back in August.

Four cover variations, each a numbered limited edition of just 333 copies:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Cover A (top-left) is my favourite.

I find cover B somewhat confusing, as it features a complex map of world cities, yet the place where the film is set, San Francisco, is missing.

IP Logged

mike bishop
Global Moderator

Sam Peckinpah Fan

Sindelfingen
Reply #29 - 02/04/18 at 5:52am

I didn't promote the release really because I didn't get along with the Austrian label...
The product came out quite well nevertheless. (It features the same extras I supplied for the French & US release  plus a (German) audio commentary and a booklet. The documentary is included as HD blow up. Media books are quite popular in Germany, I love them as well (if the film itself deserves it).  I like the fact that you are confused about that cover B Smiley. It is the one I like the least, and for all the same reasons (it is the German B-style 1-sheet poster), yet many over here like it. Oh well Smiley. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6